Affortable Shop Option

Just picked up a local bargain magazine, and checking it out. Truck & trailer sales place has a 28' smi-trailer for $1500. And, a 48' X 102" semi-triler for $2750. You'd have to either back one up to a hill to get in, or make some steps. And wire it, maybe put in a few windows. But, if it was a choice between one of thes, and no shop, I know my choice. Plus, if the old lady kicks you out, you can always hoo9k a truck up to it and take off. Then get a cot, portable toilet, and a few other amenities, and you've got a living space until you get a regular place to stay. So things could be worse.
Buy it then remove the axles... that will bring it down to earth a bit. I used to build semi trailers, the whole wheel assembly (bogey) is usually bolted on to the frame.. easy mod.
--
Rich Harris

"J T" < snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net> wrote in message

Or perhaps better than going with a trailer, find somebody selling used shipping containers. Most containers "age out" before they are really worn out. There are a few options doing that. Some domestic units are insulated. Most are sold as wind and water tight. The walls tend to be stiffer than many semi-trailers. Get a high-cube if you can since it's a foot taller. The trickiest part can be finding containers aging out near you; shipping even an empty container can be a killer. I picked up a 40' high cube for $2200 delivered a couple of years ago. It's great for storage; varmint tight (at least nothing has ever eaten any of the mouse bait I put out) and a dehumidifer only pulls out about 1 qt per week in the summer if the doors are kept closed.
hex -30-

How are they on width? Are they still 100" or so wide?
Puckdropper

in

Since containers get stacked like bricks on ships the sizes are highly standardized and built solidly. Outside width is 8'. High cube containers are 9'6" tall (over 8'6" inside). So a newer semi trailer is likely to be a little wider.
hex -30-

Contact: http://baltimore.craigslist.org/tls/425957730.html (No affiliation)
Dave
Sun, Oct 7, 2007, 7:52pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (hex) did post: <snip> The trickiest part can be finding containers aging out near you; shipping even an empty container can be a killer. I picked up a 40' high cube for $2200 delivered a couple of years ago. <snip>
Hmm. Around here, you can build a shop, garage, whatever, with no permit required, as long as it's no larger than 16' X 16' in square footage. If I can find a container around here, with a price I find reasonable, I think I'll check to see if they would make me get a permit or not if it's over that footage. Wouldn't surprise me if some local government weenie says yes. But a 20' should be no prob. One major plus, wouldn't have any worry about it burning to the ground from welding in it, or a small forge.
(hex) did post: <snip> The trickiest part can be finding containers aging out near you; shipping even an empty container can be a killer. I picked up a 40' high cube for $2200 delivered a couple of years ago. <snip>
Hmm. Around here, you can build a shop, garage, whatever, with no permit required, as long as it's no larger than 16' X 16' in square footage. If I can find a container around here, with a price I find reasonable, I think I'll check to see if they would make me get a permit or not if it's over that footage. Wouldn't surprise me if some local government weenie says yes. But a 20' should be no prob. One major plus, wouldn't have any worry about it burning to the ground from welding in it, or a small forge.
I have seen three shops built into these things. If you bolt down the equipment, the whole thing is portable and can be moved to a new location if necessary.
The military is using all kinds of special purpose containers for just this reason. The containers are infinitely portable, And they can be configured in a thousand different ways.
You can even get armored containers! Just the things for those neighborly disputes.
Hmm. Around here, you can build a shop, garage, whatever, with no permit required, as long as it's no larger than 16' X 16' in square footage. If I can find a container around here, with a price I find reasonable, I think I'll check to see if they would make me get a permit or not if it's over that footage. Wouldn't surprise me if some local government weenie says yes. But a 20' should be no prob. One major plus, wouldn't have any worry about it burning to the ground from welding in it, or a small forge. JOAT
Joat you might look around construction sites. I picked up a 38 foot stainless steel for free. It had two or three small holes in the roof which I patched. It had a walk in side door and double doors on the back. I had to rebuild the back doors. They use them for storage and usually move them with a wrecker so they don't have to have tags and insurance. I got this one because it would cost too much to move to the next job. The trailor was purchased near the site. I took a torch and cut the running gear free and ssit ot on some cement blocks close to the ground. It helps to be a good scrounger. Virgle
On Oct 8, 7:35 pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Cost depends on where you are. If the container's age out of active service in the yard of a company that only moves things in 40' boxes, then 20's won't be cheap or easy to get. In my area of the upper midwest (SW WI , SE MN) it's the case that 20's and 40's fetch the same money. Folks like being able to hide a 20 footer behind a two car garage. As far as the fire observation goes; the floors are generally high density plywood. Also, check the local trader mags, there generally a couple of ads.
hex -30-