Advice on Walker Turner table saw

I've got an old 10" Walker Turn table saw that's been through a few restorations. The problem is that the blade is not quite parallel to the mitre slot. It's had the bearings repacked (probably 40 years ago) and I am wondering if that is the likely culprit. The lift mechanism and arbor unit fall into slots cut into the underside of the table, so I know it's not rotated wrt the table. I have considered taking the mechanism to a machine shop to have the bearings packed again, and I have also considered replacing the saw alltogether. Lastly, I need a new rip fence. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Reply to
Steve Green

I'm not familiar with your saw but I have a Wadkin of similar vintage.

If the bearings haven't been touched in 40 years its probably time they had an overhaul anyway, but I doubt that that is the problem.

If you loosen the bolts that hold the spindle assembly to the table you should be able to align to the miter slot. The procedure is:

Mark one tooth on the blade, or an area immediately behind the tooth, and rotate that mark to the front of the saw. Attach a rod to the miter gauge and adjust it so that it contacts say a 0.02" blade of a feeler gauge in contact with your mark. Rotate the blade so the mark is now at the back of the saw and move the miter gauge with rod to the mark. Measure the gap with your feeler guages, it should of course be 0.02", if not move the spindle assembly.

Bernard R

Reply to
Bernard Randall

You might be better off asking this on the OWWM forum. There are a couple/few Walker-Turner owners there and a couple/few people knowledgable in these things.

Unisaw A100

Steve check this group out. Your Walker Turner should be old enough to qualify

Reply to
Anne Watson