advice on router bits for cabinet doors

----------------------------------------------------------------- Face that decision when you need to address it, mean while, you have a 1/4" router that probably operates around 22-25,000 RPM.

Stick with bits that are 1" dia max and you are good to go.

As far as a router table is concerned, I've been in shops that used a couple of saw horses with a 36 x 36 x 3/4 piece of MDF as the table.

The fixed base of a 3 HP router was mounted to the bottom side and they were in business.

About as down and dirty as it gets, but it works.

Down the road, if you want to pursue the hobby, get a set of drawings from the NYW and build their router work station.

I built one, it was a fun project and very usefull.

Then you can spend some serious money and buy a Milwaukee 5625, 3 HP, Router to mount in the station.

Now you have a router that will safely swing those 3" router bits.

--------------------------------------------------------------- Don't sweat the petty stuff, we all start some place.

BTW, age does not devalue a tool.

Try some simple projects that can be built using the tools you have at first, not including cutting bits (drill, router, etc).

If you like it, buy a new tool for the next project.

Check out WoodSmithShop on line and if you have PBS available.

They have some interesting projects and the plans are free.

Have fun.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Yep. I find that starting with minimalism and going from there helps you rule out a bunch of crap you don't need that is generally included in the $500+ tables you see in the catalogs.

When you do decide to buy some router-table specific doohickey it's because you genuinely want/need it to improve upon technique you've already acquired for using a router.

The cart goes in front of the horse with a lot of guys who buy all that crap before ever touching a router. They think they have to use all the bells and whistle and let that stuff dictate the what and how in their projects.

Reply to
-MIKE-