Adjustable Height Workbench

Page 1 of 3
HI, I am new to this group and wanted to introduce myself. My name is Charlie and I live in Minnesota. A few years ago I got a backache because my workbench was too low for the work I was doing. If I raised it up any higher it would be too high for other things and it would interfere with passing wood across my table saw. I decided I wanted an adjustable height workbench.
I was not able to find anything that met my criteria, so I designed my own adjustable height workbench. I also incorporated a mobile base into the design.
I built it thinking that I was building my "dream bench", and I was! After the designing and building process I wanted to show it off, so I entered it in a local woodworking exhibition. People liked it so much that I decided to offer plans for it on line. Those plans are now available. You can learn more about my adjusable height workbench design at my website: www.jack-bench.com
Please take a look at it and let me know what you think.
Thanks, Charlie

snip
I took a look and I'll tell you what I think. I think you came here to make money off of us. Your story may be true about the low bench, but your reason for being here is not to help us but to help yourself. This is a non-commercial newsgroup and advertising is not permitted. Sorry, but your story is advertising no matter how much you try to disguise it.
Before you call me an a--hole, you won't be the first today and I'm one of the easy going guys here so get ready for more.
On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 15:22:06 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"

Tough day Ed? Relax, go grab a beer. :)

If we don't stop the advertising it won't be long before the weekly specials at K-Mart and the latest weight loss system are posted on a regular basis. USENET was founded on the idea of non-commercial sharing of information.

My great-gandmother reputedly said, "Steal with your eyes, not with your hands." Rather than going nuclear on this guy (and his so-so story), wouldn't it better better revenge to "adapt" his ideas? Better yet, improve his bench... who knows? maybe YOU can sell plans!
(snicker)
said:

That was my immediate thought. (snerk)
Max
On 3/28/2010 12:57 PM, jack-bench.com wrote:

It's an interesting bench - and the US$29.95 plan price seems within reason, but I wasn't able to find the price of the manufactured bench on your web site and found that off-putting.
It's the convention here to add the FS tag to the subject when you're posting something for sale.
Otherwise, it's generally acceptable to include a reference to a product web page (which needn't necessarily be woodworking related) in your sig (see below) for regular woodworking posts.

It looks decent and might be especially useful for handicapped woodworkers...
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

That may be a market worth pursueing. Why don't you make a couple benches and put them out there in places where they would be really used and appreciated? A little hands on experience by a target audience would be very good in terms of getting the word out there.
On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 16:03:17 -0400, "Lee Michaels"

I immediately considered that, but it would need some modification in my opinion. Someone sitting down or wheelchair bound needs knee space to go under the bench so they can get close as they can to their work. Possibly this bench could be modified for that purpose, but wouldn't likely be suitable as is.

I am kinda wondering also why you have to pay more for the second and third set of plans.... If I were to build 2 or more benches I think I would reuse the original set of plans.

It's a "stupid" tax.
scott
On 30 Mar 2010 00:56:18 GMT, the infamous snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) scrawled the following:

No, it's probably due to the the templates that are included with each set of 11x17" plans.
-- Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. -- Earl Warren
In article

Hi, Charlie.
The bench looks very interesting, but you're coming into the group in the wrong way... Your first post really shouldn't be a sales pitch.
I hope you stick around and become part of the community we have here.

as a lurker who reads nearly daily but posts very infrequently, I agree, the first post should have been a political rant, then you would fit right in. Jack

That's a really nice idea. I think I'll make one myself. Doesn't look too complicated. Thanks.
Max
"jack-bench.com" wrote:

<snip>
Charlie, spare me the crap.
A hustle is a hustle.
I have no problem with a straight up sales pitch if you identify it as such going in, but save me from the nonsense of trying to come in thru the back door.
Lew
On 3/28/2010 5:59 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Dayum, Lew ... another shining example of liberal kindness, consideration, and regard for all mankind, eh?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
"Swingman" wrote:

------------------------------ None of the above applies.
Business is business.
Been in the sales business for to many years not to recognize a pitch.
As posted, be up front about it.
Lew

Sales business or not, I think my 8 year old grand nephew could have seen that one coming. It's when they drop the message and not respond to any one that really gives it away.

He Did respond.