Acronyms & Slang ACRONYMS & SLANG FOR REC WOODWORKING

Page 3 of 3
Doug Miller wrote:

Guess you never had a Brown Derby (IIRC a Safeway brand). College students drink for cost but that stuff was truly awful.     gaggers,     jo4hn
Somebody wrote:
> Don't forget Rhinelander -- worst beer _by_far_ that I have ever tasted.
Compared to POC (Known with pride as Piss On Cleveland), and that great beer from Ft Wayne with the French sounding name "Jeo-Bell", anything else is in the high cotton. (They were low cost, just what every college guy needed).
Then at Christmas time there was Iron City, a Pittsburgh beer sold with the label, "Old Frothing Slosh, the pale, stale ale, with the foam on the bottom'.
Even had a picture of "Miss Frothing Slosh", a young lady who must have weighed at least 350 lbs.
Lew
On Fri, 25 May 2007 21:34:35 GMT, Lew Hodgett

I've had Iron City, while attending a Penguins game at the Igloo, and this micro brew fan actually liked it. <G>

No, I never did, but I'm sure Rhinelander is worse. Let me put it this way: I was at a science fiction convention in Chicago once, lo these many years ago in my foolish and misspent youth. They had Rhinelander in the hospitality suite, and it was free. I drew a cup from the keg, and after one swallow, I began looking for a trash can --- ah-HAH! over there in the corner! Walked over... and it was already one-third full of nearly-full cups of beer. Now THAT is truly bad beer, so bad that people won't drink it even when it's free.
--
Regards,
On Fri, 25 May 2007 22:36:41 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Did you play D&D? <G>
(Doug Miller)

I did/still do. And for those in the Philly area there was Piels and Ortliebs. Two proven stomach lining and paint removers.
--

"Anybody can have more birthdays; but it takes
balls to get old!"

Don't forget Schmidt's and Esslinger
wrote in message

Never tried Esslinger, but there's a special ulcer dedicated to Schmidts, Schlitz and Ballentine.
--

"Anybody can have more birthdays; but it takes
balls to get old!"

No, I've never been much into gaming, other than chess.
--
Regards,
Fri, May 25, 2007, 5:43pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (DougMiller) doth proclaimeth: Don't forget Rhinelander -- worst beer _by_far_ that I have ever tasted. <snip>
On May 25, 11:39 pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

That is true. And I shudder to imagine what it might be like.
The French produce some pretty damn fine wines, though.
--
Regards,
On May 25, 11:39 pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Of course, having said that, it might ruffle the feathers of a few who would dispute its 'Frenchness', as it originates in the Alsatian region and at the time of the founding of the brewery in 1664 the area was in German hands. It is, however, French now and I like it. Mind you, when Kronenbourg was first poured, the Dutch had already enjoyed Grolsch for close to half a century. Of course the Germans had already been drunk on Weihenstephan for 600 years by then. The French do know a thing or two about alcoholic beverages. Calvados, Armagnacs, Cognacs, Champaigne, and a slew of reds and whites. But I'm sure they have a few bad beers as well.
Sat, May 26, 2007, 8:51am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@topworks.ca (Robatoy) confesses he likes French beer: Upon further reflection, Kronenbourg is pretty darn drinkable. Of course, having said that, it might ruffle the feathers of a few who would dispute its 'Frenchness',
Oh no, after checking their site, I wouldn't "dream" of disputing its "Frenchiness". http://www.k1664.co.uk/index_html.htm
Then he goes on to exclaim: The French do know a thing or two about alcoholic beverages. Calvados, Armagnacs, Cognacs, Champaigne, and a slew of reds and whites. But I'm sure they have a few bad beers as well.
A thing or two yes. Champaigne, sour wine. Might as well drink vinegar, with a bit of everclear in it. Cognac, apple brandy, and not that great; none of he others are that fantastic eiher. Yeah, some of the wines are good, But iff you think champagknee is drinkable, you need to try a sparkling white wine. And, if you think Cognk is so great, you really ought to try a Napoleon brandy.
If I were still a drinking man tho, I'd have a stock of DonQ laid in. For wine, it'd be scuppernong. For beer, I would reallike like one or two of te German brews, but they don't export the one's I'd line. So, probably some San Miguel, Singha, and Bud. My tastes are simple.
Ah yes, before I forget, I'd lay in a bit of peppermint schnaps also. For those of you that don't know, one drop of pepermint scnhaps in a shot of cheap booze with turn it into a very smooh drink. Same with a lousy beer, one drop per glass, improves the taste immensely. I'd lay in a stock of cheap booze and beer for guests to drink, ecause I sure wouldn't lay out good coin buying te good stuff for someone else to swill down.
However, I'm no longer a drinking man, so now I occassionally have a non-alcoholic beer, usually O'Douls, I believe it is, dark. I love the taste of a bood beer, but don't like the effect of the alcohol. Because I can feel the alcohol in even one, now I never drink more than one of the "non-alcoholic" beers per day. Life is not so bad even wthout real beer. It's even better without French beer.
Sun, May 27, 2007, 1:09am snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (JT) I wandered in and mumbled: <snip>If I were still a drinking man tho, I'd have a stock of DonQlaid in. For wine, it'd be scuppernong. For beer, I would really like like one or two of the German brews, but they don't export the one's I'd line. So, probably some San Miguel, Singha, and Bud. My tastes are simple. <snip>
Now that I've thought of it a bit, I'd add a few more. Drambuie, Newfoundland rum, and, if I could find any I could trust (that's not going to happen), I'd lay in a gallon or two of real moonshine, about 120 proof or so. I had one of my clerks bring me back a bottle of tequila out of Mexico one time, I'm not sure if they made it for export or not, might have been something like Red Rooster, I'd lay in a couple of bottles of that two. I think a bit of Napoleon brandy would pretty well top off the list.
But any more the only hard stuff I drink is if I've got a real bad cold. I get some cheap booze for mixing up a tall hot toddy, with whiskey, lemon juice, sugar, hot water. Straitly medicinal, so not much concerned with taste, just gulp one down, and hit the bed.
On Sun, 27 May 2007 01:09:44 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote: ...

JOAT, I'm beginning to get worried. Neither of us likes American football, we both like O'Douls Amber... If I start painting my tools yellow, I'm gonna have my wife call the men in the white coats.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
Sun, May 27, 2007, 4:17pm (EDT-1) Tom Veatch starts to worry me with: JOAT, I'm beginning to get worried. Neither of us likes American football, we both like O'Douls Amber... If I start painting my tools yellow, I'm gonna have my wife call the men in the white coats.
If you didn't live so far away, I'd begn to suspect I'm soon to be a victim of identity theft. Say hello to Auntie Em by the way. Don't worry about painting your ools yellow. If you get that far along you be granted inner peace. Unles you have kids that is. LMAO
Fri, May 25, 2007, 5:55am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (RayV) doth mumble: Also Coors Light
Yuck.
A 2006 study found that the average American walks about 900 miles a year. Another study found that Americans drink an average of 22 gallons of beer a year. That means, on average, Americans get about 41 miles per gallon. http://cruisin2.wordpress.com/2007/04/28/miles-per-gallon /
Thu, May 24, 2007, 8:15am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (GROVER) doth posteth: ACRONYMS & SLANG FOR REC WOODWORKING The following list was posted several years ago, so it's probably worth repeating <snip>
I sue don't recal it. Or, I immediately drove it from my mine. Yeah, that's probably it. Needs a LOT of editing, things need correcting, added, modified, etc. Needs a LOT of input from outside the U.S. too. So, in no alphabetical order.
You show Norm, but you left out Roy and Bob. Which is reason enough to believe this list is totally phone. Remember Nor and Roy, good. Bob, evil.
HD - Home Depot, Home Desperate, to be avoided.
ACE - American hardware store
WAG - Wild ass guess.
SWMBO - She Who Must Be Obedient
APBW - news:alt.binaries.pictures.weapons
Archives - also rec.woodworking archives - this is where you go to look up questions that have been beaten to death dozens of times already. Read here and you wan't need to ask so many dumb questions, just a few - http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?as_ugroup=rec.woodworking&lr=&num=30
ROTFLMAO - Rolling on the floor laughing my ass off
WTF - Another polite way of asking, What kind of a dumb ass thing/question is that?
PC - Politically correct
I've got a better idea. Just post the link to the archives everyonce in awhile, and let people look this thread up and read it.
If you need to list these common items for folks who do NOT know these things, you should probably include some emoticons as well. After all, a proper understanding (and use) of emoticons can prevent some flame wars.
Maybe we need some kinda nerd version of Smoky Bear. (Only you can prevent flame wars)