A Woodcarver's Treadle Hammer

A "Treadle Hammer" is a specialized blacksmithing tool that uses the blacksmith's own foot power to swing a hammer. We have found that some blacksmiths also work with wood. Several of the members of our blacksmith club, The Guild of Metalsmiths, joined just so they could learn to make their own specialized woodworking tools, and just never left. Well, here is a blacksmith's treadle hammer that obviously was heavily infuenced by a wood carver:
Go to the bottom of this page to see that entry----- http://www.spaco.org/othertreadle.htm
You will see a couple of interesting (blacksmith-related) links there, too. We attended a conference there (the Czech Republic) in, I think, 1999.
Pete Stanaitis

In addition to that, a good friend of mine is using a hydraulic ram to squeeze rather than hammer the work. There is very little splatter compared to the old, violent way of beating snot out of it. There's nothing related to woodworking in this, of course. The ram and anvil are mounted on a very substantial length of structural W- section.