A Trip Down Memory Lane (Somewhat O.T.)

I don't know the answer but hooking the bait does not always kill it. Think of fishing worms and live shrimp.
Leon wrote:

did. To be honest, that was 45+ years ago. I think we hooked them through the thorax but I really don't recall. You hold them, IIRC, with their legs down and bring the hook up through. IIRC, sometimes they DID revive too soon. Some lived to fly away. Once in a great while, one was able to sting ... but if you held them right, that didn't happen often. (I don't recall any of us holding them wrong more than once!) That is probably as much my imagination as it is my recollection ... maybe more. I -can- recall a cousin getting stung but ISTR that he had tried to pick up one that was already reviving and couldn't get a proper grip on it in time. Occupational hazard.
The frogs weren't dead, just injured. They would bleed in the water but couldn't swim very well. Nature kicked it. The fish would pick off the weak one and the boy would pick off the gullible one.
is worth (much) unless backed up with enough genuine information to make

I hook small frogs successfully when I go bass fishing, same with crawdads. I believe that is possible with bees too... the gist of my post was more along the lines of: Are you NUTS??...LOL
..like I mean ..a LIVE BEE?

LOL.. Better'n live Rattlesnake.

Okay...I'll bite..."what do you catch when using a rattle snake for bait?"

A South Texas redneck! We have the annual rattlesnake roundup at Freer, and when I was down there years ago the boyscouts used to go out in the heat and scrub to catch rattlesnakes. They sold them as meat as their fundraiser raiser for the year. The kiddos used to high tail it off into the scrub in search of the biggest ones they could find (largest snake = trophy and prize!) with just a snake snare and a burlap bag. Now there are several charities and sponsors, so I don't know who gets all the money.
Purchasers buy the snakes and milk them (always a crown pleaser) to get the venom to make antivenom. They sell the meat all over the world (sorry - it DOES taste like chicken even though it looks like fish) and the skins are considered a rare hide overseas.
There are so many snakes out slithering around when they have this event that they are literally everywhere. When they have had a good year breeding, in the next few you will see them mashed on every rural and county road from Freer on south.
You probably think I'm kidding....
http://www.freerrattlesnake.com /
Check out the guest performers list! This is honestly a big deal, and a real family affair. You eat BBQ of all kinds, drink beer, and there is a hot sauce tasting contest, snake handling exibition and of course everything in the world made from the skins; cell phone covers, hat bands, watch bands, wallets, belts, knife sheaths, boots, you name it.
A big dance at the end of the night under the light bulbs with a good band. What more could you ask for?
You had to ask...
Robert
Thu, Mar 15, 2007, 9:21pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@aol.com doty sayeth: <snip> They sold them as meat as their fundraiser raiser for the year.The kiddos used to high tail it off into the scrub in search of the biggest ones they could find (largest snake = trophy and prize!) with just a snake snare and a burlap bag. <snip>
When visiting Arizona years ago my dad met a guy who sold rattlesnakes to eating places as meat. His snake stick was called a 20 gauge shotgun - blew their heads off. He could have gotten more for live ones. Personally I'd use a 12 gauge. Rattle snake meat - survival food. Proably the kind of peope that eat snake also eat bait and call it sushi. I eat "my" sushi fried.
JOAT Custom philosophizing done. No job too small; must be indoor work, with no heavy lifting.
Robatoy wrote:
> Okay...I'll bite..."what do you catch when using a rattle snake for > bait?"
Bet you can't guess what you catch when you use a hunk of ground hog that has been claimed as road kill and laying in the summer sun for about 2-3 days as bait.
Lew
A Rob?

Leon wrote:

Sure. Frogs got no sense of humor. Live bees sass the frogs. What happens next is not pretty.
Once you stun the bees, you have several seconds before they shake it off.
When you pick it up, hold the wings pinned to its body and do your thing with the hook. He who hesitates is lost.
is worth a **** unless backed up with enough genuine information to make
Tue, Mar 13, 2007, 2:18pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@aol.com doth query: What? No frogs? <snip> Survival food.
JOAT It was too early in the morning for it to be early in the morning. That was the only thing that he currently knew for sure. - Clodpool
A buddy and I spent a late night gigging frogs from a jon boat in the Florida panhandle. Until a water moc took exception to our messing with his supper. He looked like he was a wee bit bothered. Swam toward the boat and I put on my Jesus shoes and I was ready to walk across the water to get away. But, he left. We did too.
Went back to flounder gigging, didn't care for frog legs anyway. And occasionally gigging a stingray didn't raise the blood pressure like that snake did.
John Flatley
--

< snipped-for-privacy@aol.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@n33g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...

I recall my wife dragging me into a curio shop in Gatlinburg years ago. The shop was going out of business and it was easy to see why. Every space on the shelves that didn't contain merchandise had a sign telling what you couldn't do in the store. I never felt so unwelcomed in all my life.

Still got one in Tupelo, MS. Tupelo Hardware. Four stories of downtown building crammed full of whatever you want. Recently a sales clerk took me up to the top floor to look for a bearing. first time I had ever been upstairs. What a marvelous experience.
In an earlier time, when there was nothing else, they acted as somewhat of a general store, would order whatever you needed, but specialized in hardware. It is the store where Elvis Presley bought his first guitar.
Frank

Wow, that's pretty cool...
r-----> who's justa beaming reading all these stories.
Mon, Mar 12, 2007, 3:04am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (GROVER) doth admit: Many years ago when I lived in northern New Jersey, <snip>