A subject that probably has been beaten to death

I haven't seen the table saw shootout in Wood mag yet. Even though I'll read it soon, I would like the opinions of people who have actually put cabinet saws through their paces. I will be buying one by the end of the year. Price is no concern, don't mean to brag. I won't cut corners on the foundation of a good shop. And Made in the US will figure heavily in the decision making process. I'm tired of supporting China while our manufacturing base here is taking such a hit. No political commentary meant by this, I have Chinese friends who mean a lot to my family. Oops, getting off topic... Sorry I realize it will most likely be a Jet vs Delta debate as usual. Unless there are worthy competitors now? TIA
North America close enough? I own a Unisaw. I've used a Jet. I've used a Powermatic. I've played with and looked under the hood of the General 350 cabinet saw. If I was doing it again, I would look _real_ hard at the General ... that is one mighty fine table saw.
That said, there is very little difference between the field when it comes to cutting wood and you would be happy with any one of them, so don't fixate too much ... the idea is to start making sawdust.
Also, keep in mind that some of the components of just about any tool you buy these days is likely to be from the far East.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/24/03
Swingman wrote:

www.thewoodworkingshows.com
Thanks, Doug. This show is the absolute best way to do side-by-side comparisions. And maybe get a 'show special deal'???
Doug Miller wrote:

Wood really liked the General.
I've also noticed that in several pictures in the FW "Tools and Shops" issue, General cabinet saws appear.
Barry
If price is no object, why get one generic saw when you can buy specific saws for each type of cut?
panel: http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=G0501 crosscut: http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=G0502 rip: http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=G0524
(on a more serious side, check out the Grizzly cabinet saws too)
in message

Then you want to look at Northfield... Delta, Jet, Grizzly pale in comparison.
That said, if money does matter a bit, The brands you spoke of will probably be plenty for you. If you rule out a tool because of country of origin It sounds like you are more interested in USA built vs. the best possible machine.
how come you didn't mention Altendorf, Leon? :)
dave
Leon wrote:

nospam wrote: <snip>

<snip>
Delta it is then, unless I'm incorrect in thinking the Jet is made outside the USA. Isn't Powermatic still made here? That's certainly a fine machine.
Unless you want to move up to a 12" or 14" as someone else suggested (and move WAY up in price, as well) about the only other serious choice is the General 350 (provided "Made in Canada" is something you can accept). I have to admit, with a saw of that caliber, the issue of where it's made starts to lose its importance with me. But I hear you; damned cheap foreign labor! And we woodworkers have to compete with it too.
Powermatic 66, end of story! I had my eye on the 5HP version of this saw for many years, now as a new and very happy owner I can so no regrets whatsoever. I own a Delta DJ-20 jointer as well, but as for the table saws, that PM just looked and felt better.
hda
in message

in message

If price is not a concern, then you should definitely consider the Laguna TSS (http://www.lagunatools.com/tss.asp ). 3.5 horse motor driving a 12" blade, another motor drives a scoring blade. Sliding table with capacity for full size sheet goods. Bies type fence. True European riving knife. Easy access to blade for changing. More. $3995. Someday...
BTW: If not made in USA, then made in Europe. Laguna gets most of their stuff from Europe.
Seriously cool saw.
Cheers, Eric
Jet vs Delta? Made in Taiwan vs made in Taiwan.
in message

Heres a cabinet saw test via the tauton press:
www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/w00042.asp
good luck.
-- We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. General Geo. S. Patton
in message

If you have access to 3 phase current its a definite advantage. Makes it almost impossible to overload a tablesaw.
Wow! Great article, just what I was looking for. All the info I was looking for.... I'll pick up Wood mag also. Thanks much, Jack
Jack Kerouac wrote:

After reading the replys, I can only add that for me the Jet/Unisaw choice I made several years ago was a tossup; Delta used to have a slightly better motor but Jet has taken care of that aspect. I was going to buy the Jet but got a deal on a "Great White" leftover and they threw in a dust collector hood (which Jet came with) and another blade and matched Jet's slightly lower price. Price with me was also not an option (i.e., buy good quality and cry only once) as $200 plus or minus would not change my life (I quit cigs and justified it that way).
But one thing others overlooked was the Delta Unifence. I hemmed and hawed over it (I could have had the Bies) but I'm glad I chose the unifence. Rock solid, very versitile, different, but in a good way. It's a matter of taste, to be sure, but go and play around with both and then make your choice. It takes a little bit more work to make jigs that fit over the extruded aluminium, as it is not a boxy square like the bies, but the sliding fence makes up for it. Whatever you buy I think you will be happy as you are looking at quality saws.