A quieter wood thickness planer?

I put weather stripping around the garage door. 2 benefits: greatly reduced noise from my power tools and keeps out wind blown rain. I can turn on the DC and planer and can barely hear a thing when standing outside the garage. If it's hot, I have to open things up, so I'm thinking of installing a wall unit A/C.

My nearest neighbor's house is 12' away and she has never complained about the noise (and she is a b*tch, so I KNOW she'd complain if it was an issue!).

Dave

Reply to
David

another suggestion: don't start too early in the morning or run late into the evening, so that if a bit of noise escapes your shop, it won't seem quite so bothersome to your neighbors than if you disturbed them outside of "business" hours.

Reply to
David

Perhaps it was the music?

Reply to
Guess who

In cut quality a bit in particular with some maple I was doing at the time. I still got some tear out but not near as much as I used to. As far as noise a BIG reduction, even through the muffs I wear with just about any power tool. The planer is a two blade 12" Dewalt and it came with a second set of knives. I sent the first out for sharpening and I'll be interested in seeing if how the sharpness compares to the original on the DeWalt set when I swap them out.

Allen Catonsville, MD

Reply to
Allen

And the DJ, and Karaoke, and anything else that generated the correct bass frequencies.

Steak dosen't make much noise.

Reply to
Ba r r y

If properly prepared.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

David wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I occaisionally ask if my woodworking is bothering the neighbors, and consistently, I've been told that it doesn't.

Having a neighbor with a Harley Davidson or two must make my machines seem quiet in comparison. (And he's a really good neighbor!)

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

On 7/3/2005 10:42 PM Patriarch mumbled something about the following:

Harley's aren't loud when stock, and I know lots of non-Harley's that are in excess of 105 dB. My woodworking tools are a lot louder than my Harley.

Reply to
Odinn

Yes, I also have a neighbor (a good neighbor too) with a Harley, and ironically after first posting this has left his Harley idling in the driveway for 5-10 minutes at 6:00AM and rides it around the nieghborhood streets. I wait till after 10:00AM to run the planer on the weekends.

Reply to
dado_maker

Reply to
dado_maker

If you haven't already insulated and sheetrocked, you can eliminate a lot of noise by building a second frame for each wall inside of the building, leaving a small amount of dead air space between it and the original frame. You lose a little space, but the sounds cannot travel through the wall nearly as effectively- and it also adds a little insulation value. It'll still be loud inside the garage, but nothing like it was outside.

Reply to
Prometheus

Not at all, I know quite a few. We are in a minority tho.

Reply to
Odinn
2 tests I tried yesterday:
  1. Remove DC -much quieter- good chip displacement, but I dont like some of the dust in the air and clean up on the floor etc.
  2. Open the vacuum on another location on the DC, this cut down the amount of air being pulled acrooss the blades. Not a quiet as DC removed but seemed half as loud. First time I ran with no ear protection (not to be practices for long periods though) The sound that can be heard outside was dropped dramitically -Going with this one.

Thanks!

dado_maker wrote:

Reply to
dado_maker