A quieter wood thickness planer?

Page 2 of 2

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 17:11:30 -0400, Guess who

And the DJ, and Karaoke, and anything else that generated the correct bass frequencies.
Steak dosen't make much noise.

If properly prepared.

I doubt that they actually amplify the noise but certainly buildings serve as excellent waveguides for some acoustic frequencies. Although thinking about it now you could get spots where you get constructive interference of the acoustic transmission multipaths which could make that spot much louder than it intuitively would be. It's the principle of the whisper room in the capitol building in DC.
That's only going to occur in certain spots though and only in the presence of fairly smooth acoustic reflectors.
ml
Although I haven't had a chance to really check them out or use them, the helical cutter head planers are supposed to be much quieter. They seem to be reserved more for the industrial machines, and not the small shop and hobbyist woodworkers. I know that there are retro fit cutterheads for some machines. robo hippy
dado_maker wrote:

reduced noise from my power tools and keeps out wind blown rain. I can turn on the DC and planer and can barely hear a thing when standing outside the garage. If it's hot, I have to open things up, so I'm thinking of installing a wall unit A/C.
My nearest neighbor's house is 12' away and she has never complained about the noise (and she is a b*tch, so I KNOW she'd complain if it was an issue!).
Dave
dado_maker wrote:

into the evening, so that if a bit of noise escapes your shop, it won't seem quite so bothersome to your neighbors than if you disturbed them outside of "business" hours.
<snip>

I occaisionally ask if my woodworking is bothering the neighbors, and consistently, I've been told that it doesn't.
Having a neighbor with a Harley Davidson or two must make my machines seem quiet in comparison. (And he's a really good neighbor!)
Patriarch
On 7/3/2005 10:42 PM Patriarch mumbled something about the following:

are in excess of 105 dB. My woodworking tools are a lot louder than my Harley.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7
Odinn wrote:

On 7/4/2005 1:27 AM dado_maker mumbled something about the following:

Not at all, I know quite a few. We are in a minority tho.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7
Patriarch wrote:

Yes, I also have a neighbor (a good neighbor too) with a Harley, and ironically after first posting this has left his Harley idling in the driveway for 5-10 minutes at 6:00AM and rides it around the nieghborhood streets. I wait till after 10:00AM to run the planer on the weekends.

If you haven't already insulated and sheetrocked, you can eliminate a lot of noise by building a second frame for each wall inside of the building, leaving a small amount of dead air space between it and the original frame. You lose a little space, but the sounds cannot travel through the wall nearly as effectively- and it also adds a little insulation value. It'll still be loud inside the garage, but nothing like it was outside.
yes I have insulated and drywalled. Was well worth it.
Prometheus wrote:

2 tests I tried yesterday: 1. Remove DC -much quieter- good chip displacement, but I dont like some of the dust in the air and clean up on the floor etc. 2. Open the vacuum on another location on the DC, this cut down the amount of air being pulled acrooss the blades. Not a quiet as DC removed but seemed half as loud. First time I ran with no ear protection (not to be practices for long periods though) The sound that can be heard outside was dropped dramitically -Going with this one.
Thanks!