A new Tower project completed!

Page 1 of 5
As many of you know my wife and I had a new home built with my 3 car shop and her upstairs quilting studio. The only real thing lacking in this new home was kitchen pantry storage. This particular house comes in two styles. A 2 story and a 1 story. The 1 story has a walk in pantry, the 2 story sacrifices the walk in pantry so that a staircase could be added. About 15 months ago I began designing a free standing pantry to place on a 15' long and 11' tall wall. Yesterday I finished the "Country Style Pantry" and my wife is once again happy with her kitchen. The 26 drawers that I built for this unit put me at 98 drawers that I built this year. The pantry is 8'x 8'x 16"deep.
My favorite shots:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/6485171439/in/set-72157622991960362/lightbox /
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/6485171225/in/set-72157622991960362/lightbox /
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/6485171007/in/set-72157622991960362/lightbox /
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/6485170833/in/set-72157622991960362/lightbox /
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/6485170313/in/set-72157622991960362/lightbox /
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/6485170313/in/set-72157622991960362/lightbox /
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/6485169773/in/set-72157622991960362/lightbox /
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/6485169533/in/set-72157622991960362/lightbox /
On 12/10/2011 4:41 PM, Leon wrote:

Looks great. Can I ask what materials you used?
On 12/10/2011 4:46 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:

Oh Nooooo that is a big secret! LOL And thank you.
Greg the dark and lighter wood is white oak. I used General Finishes Water based Dye Stain Dark Brown and plain oil based varnish on everything except the actual drawer bodies. The drawer bodies are made from 1/2" Baltic birch with rabbited corners reinforced with domino tenons.
That's beautiful, Leon. The drawer pulls are really striking. I may need to borrow that idea for a piece I'm working on now.
Larry
On 12/10/2011 3:41 PM, Leon wrote:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/6485171439/in/set-72157622991960362/lightbox /
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/6485171225/in/set-72157622991960362/lightbox /
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/6485171007/in/set-72157622991960362/lightbox /
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/6485170833/in/set-72157622991960362/lightbox /
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/6485170313/in/set-72157622991960362/lightbox /
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/6485170313/in/set-72157622991960362/lightbox /
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/6485169773/in/set-72157622991960362/lightbox /
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/6485169533/in/set-72157622991960362/lightbox /
On 12/10/2011 5:20 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:

Thank you Larry, borrow away! Here is another version of that pull on a much larger drawer. I actually used them on top and bottom of 4 drawers.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/6489414105/in/set-72157622991960362/lightbox /

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/6485171439/in/set-72157622991960362/lightbox /
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/6485171225/in/set-72157622991960362/lightbox /
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/6485171007/in/set-72157622991960362/lightbox /
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/6485170833/in/set-72157622991960362/lightbox /
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/6485170313/in/set-72157622991960362/lightbox /
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/6485170313/in/set-72157622991960362/lightbox /
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/6485169773/in/set-72157622991960362/lightbox /
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/6485169533/in/set-72157622991960362/lightbox /
Yesss!! Mighty fine job.
Max
On 12/10/2011 5:21 PM, Max wrote:

Thank you
Nice job Leon, nice pulls, nice contrast in colors.
I was looking at the other photos in your album. The quilted box caught my eye, because when I look at the unfinished version it looks very flat, but the finished version has radiused edges on the pieces. Was the unfinished not glued, and just set in place? I like the effect of the radiused edges, nice work.
On 12/10/2011 4:41 PM, Leon wrote:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/6485171439/in/set-72157622991960362/lightbox /
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/6485171225/in/set-72157622991960362/lightbox /
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/6485171007/in/set-72157622991960362/lightbox /
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/6485170833/in/set-72157622991960362/lightbox /
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/6485170313/in/set-72157622991960362/lightbox /
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/6485170313/in/set-72157622991960362/lightbox /
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/6485169773/in/set-72157622991960362/lightbox /
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/6485169533/in/set-72157622991960362/lightbox /
Leon wrote:

to put in those numerous drawers.
Looks good Leon. If the builder doesn't give you a pantry, Leon will build one!
On 12/10/2011 8:28 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

Heh, that's a good one. You were joking, right? :-)
On 12/10/2011 10:21 PM, Steve Turner wrote:

No kidding, I did similar small drawers in out other house but only 10 and those were filled in short order. That was in addition to the 8 regular drawers and 3, 36" wide drawers.
On 12/10/2011 8:28 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

Well those 98 drawers were for 7 different jobs. There are several new homes in the neighborhood with our floor plan, I am hoping to perhaps build the pantry again and again and.... I just need to show it off now.
On 12/10/2011 7:20 PM, tiredofspam wrote:

Thank you! Correct observations on the finished quilted box but the pieces were in fact glued in place. I sorat kinda like the flat piece look also.
On 12/11/2011 10:09 AM, Leon wrote:

Ohhhhhh, yes, again, the pieces were NOT glued in place until after the round over, and finish was applied.

I'm gonna tell your wife that you have women everywhere getting into your drawers, boy. That'll teach you to brag. ;)

How does one see into the top four, hmm?
-- A sound mind in a sound body is a short but full description of a happy state in this world. -- John Locke
On 12/10/2011 8:52 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Oh. Leave it to Leon...
-- Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplacable spark.
In the hopeless swamps of the not quite, the not yet, and the not at all, do not let the hero in your soul perish and leave only frustration for the life you deserved, but never have been able to reach.
The world you desire can be won, it exists, it is real, it is possible, it is yours. -- Ayn Rand
On 12/10/2011 10:35 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:

Nope, they are normally orientated drawers.
On 12/11/2011 11:26 AM, Leon wrote:

guy with the skills to build that pantry could whip up a rolling ladder in a trice...
On 12/11/2011 11:13 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:

Yeah! Actually I might have a rolling ladder for the study and it's 11' tall walls.