completed project

Hi all, Just finished this over the weekend.

made this magazine rack out of a single 5' length of knotty redwood

2x4. Took about 6 hours. all comments welcome.

Josh

Reply to
Josh

Looks good. Probably took more time to get the most of that 2 x 4 than to do the cutting. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Looks great Josh. For yourself or someone else? If yourself I assume SWMBO was quite happy with it.

Looks like you planed or resawed the 2x4 down; what was the final thickness? Looks like you could have used a 1x6 instead of the 2x4 and avoided the edge join for the sides. Would a 1x6 have worked?

Reply to
Larry C in Auburn, WA

Thanks Larry. Yeah, it's for someone else who found my website and wondered if I'd make this as a gift for a friend.

I did resaw and planed down the 2x4 to a thickness of about 1/2 inch after I cut that profile on the sides. For the front panels I had to do a glue up, but no big deal really. I didn't have any 1x6, but If I had that certainly would've worked. I also thought that making it out of a

2x4 would be an interesting challenge on an otherwise very simple project.

Josh

Larry C > Looks great Josh. For yourself or someone else? If yourself I assume SWMBO

Reply to
Josh

That ain't no tuba fore... Looks like a magazine rack to me. What are you trying to pull?

(Looks good... At least until SWMBO fills it up with copies of Cosmo and Southern Living and stuff...)

Reply to
Silvan

Josh,

Looks good. Went to your site - how do you keep your workshop/bedroom chip and dust free?

Murray

Reply to
mdr

It's not easy. I've got a shopvac, and a couple windows. During one summer I borrowed a box fan and did the furnace filter thing, but I had to give the fan back. Now I just wait till the dust settles and I vaccum. As of yet I'm too cheap to put money out for a dust collector. I've been eying the new Jet with the canister style filter and the plastic bag collector, but its a little out of my price range. And any of the cheaper dust collectors don't seem to have collection under 30 microns, so it doesn't really seem like a good value. Thanks for the kind words.

Josh

Reply to
Josh

I didn't see the web site address but am interested in what it looks like.

Pops

Reply to
Pops

No problem. It's just

Thanks

Reply to
Josh

Hum, thought I posted this to the group once before but didn't show up.

What is the web site, it's not listed here and I would like to see the mag rack.

pops

Reply to
Pops