A more advanced "rec.woodworking"

Page 4 of 5

use. This is perfect for dummies like me.

If infinitely wiser, why do they pay to give advice?

How dare you question the infinitely wise!

Where else could you sell it?

Hey, do you think I could substitute "rec.woodworking" for "finewoodworking.com" in your post and have it posted there?

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - snipped-for-privacy@charm.net
On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 00:13:06 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@fellspt.charm.net () >

I say go for it!
On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 00:13:06 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@fellspt.charm.net () wrote:

All except the "cost a few bucks part" Let us know how that works out for you.

I'm a WoodCentral guy (http://www.woodcentral.com ), as are a few of the others here: Lee Gordon, Charles Self, David Eisan, to name a couple. So far as I'm concerned, it's the best web based alternative to the wreck. However, I've been here longer. There is something to be said for being able to post a picture directly, though.
I don't much care for the others, for a variety of reasons--personality (of the site), personalities (of the players), software...you get the idea.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

I occasionally read Woodcentral, but I really don't like the interface. I think I've tried every sort order and option available, but none sticks with me. The reviews and articles can be quite useful, and I've enjoyed reading several chat transcripts.
The user tendency on WC that drives me batty are the users who start replies in the subject line! It's like they have 50 Don Dandos. <G> When folks do that, it makes threads very difficult to follow, especially if you missed the beginning of the thread.
The relatively loose moderation style on WC does make it a rather friendly, easy-going site. I wish I could get used to a display style!
<<The user tendency on WC that drives me batty are the users who start replies in the subject line! It's like they have 50 Don Dandos. <G> When folks do that, it makes threads very difficult to follow, especially if you missed the beginning of the thread.>>
That practice bugs me, too, but I like Wood Central enough to put up with it. Fortunately, at the bottom of any message, after the message body and any pictures or links that the poster has included, there's a section called "Messages in this Thread" that shows a tree structure going all the way back to the initial message in the thread. Of course, that doesn't help you identify which thread a post entitled "Me Too" is part of unless you open "Me Too" and scroll down to the bottom to check its "genealogy."
Lee

_________________________________
On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 15:31:59 -0500, "Lee Gordon"

I do that.

Exactly! When you've been gone for a new days, and there's 400 messages that start with "I agree with Lee", and "Me too", and "been there, done that", and "LRod is right"...
Must... Get... By... That... Woodcentral is worth it! <G>
Lee Gordon wrote:

that sounds like the exact sort of thing that could be fixed with a greasemonkey script.

Of course everyone has their own tastes, but I basically have my options set just like my newsreader does it for the wreck: reverse threaded listing. The only difference is that the newest posts are on top (both new thread and new posts to threads) as opposed to Agent, where the new threads are at the bottom (unless there's a setting I haven't found yet to change that).

Guilty as charged, although I am no DD. I do it because it's an effective way of getting readers to look at my message. Yes, I have that much ego.
Frankly, I get tired (not on usenet because it works differently) of seeing 25 straight copies of the original subject line with "Re:" in front of them. How unoriginal. But I realize usenet works a little differently--see below.

But the entire thread is there, so there is context. With Agent (and maybe other readers on usenet) when you change the subject line, the reply is taken out of the thread. That and failing to quote any of the material in the post being replied to is what is so maddening about DD. It doesn't work that way at WC.

Ellis does a first class job.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Another option is the Woodshop News forum http://www.woodshopnews.com/forum/ and, unlike Fine Woodworking's, it does not charge a membership fee or require a subscription to the magazine.
Lee

_________________________________

You know, I think I'll pass as well.
What I still can't understand, no matter how long I poke around on this group, is why OT discussion is so horrifying to people. I like woodworking quite a bit, but I'll be damned if I'd visit a forum that had ten or fifteen conversations about tuning up a handplane and how to use a router recycling on an endless loop. It's the same reason I let all my magazine subscriptions lapse- they were just repeating themselves.
I come here to talk about whatever comes up on the group, because it's entertaining, and I at least know that the folks here have enough intellegence and motivation to engage in a hobby that requires considerable investments in time, money and research (not necessarily in that order.) That alone is a pretty effective pre-filter when deciding who I wish to speak to, if looking at most of the other groups on Usenet is any indication. And, I learned a lot here when I started to look at making furniture when I decided to *graduate* from being a remodeler with basic carpentry skills- so answering newbie questions is sort of paying the community back for past assistance.
Far as "experitise" goes, I'd trust most of the regulars here to work in my shop unattended, and at least some have amazing abilities and knowledge. So how is the FWW forum better? Do they tell you how to make wood appear from nothing using only the power of your mind? :)
So how is the FWW forum better? Do they tell you how to

Now THAT I would pay for!
"Prometheus" wrote in message

Bingo ... I don't subscribe to the magazine precisely because that.
However, I personally find the FWW subscription web site worth the price because of the availability of a ton of articles in pdf format. If you're continually searching for design ideas, and ways to solve woodworking problems based on design, it's an excellent resource at a reasonable price, IMO.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/06/07

Real expertise is making do with what you have. Some of these woodworking shows on TV, for instance, are not a reflection of reality in most cases. "Now here, we'll cut the stack of 4 x 8 pre-laminated sheets with our 8-blade gang saw. Then we move the slabs to our computer controlled edgebander before boring the prerequisite 44 holes per gable in our PTP unit." TOH went the same way: "Then we ordered the Elba stone, we had it crushed in Italy..blah, blah, blah." We watch this for a while before we figure out that we're not George Clooney, and we ain't getting Jessica Alba's clothes off.
I find the blend of expertise in here very comforting as many here know less about this craft than I do, and the same amount know more than I. What a great place to look good and stupid at the same time.
If I want hard-core, business-like solutions, there's always http://www.woodweb.com / Now there's a site (column on the right, called Knowledge Base) where they deal with more 'pro' stuff.
Just saw this the other day: a package of 'pro' sponge brushes, next to the 'pro' towels...wtf isn't 'pro' these days? Toothpaste: Large, King-size, Jumbo. WTF is with that? The smallest is now Large?....*peels off Andy Rooney mask*
My rant for today.

My last hopes, dashed...

Free Advice.

One Size Fits All.
Actually the smallest size in toothpaste is now 'sample' and costs a buck.