A Harbor Freight Buying Guide (Humor)

Page 1 of 2
These are from http://www.toolcrib.com/blog/2008/08/buyer-beware-a-harbor-freight-buying-guide-the-good-enough-the-bad-and-the-abysmal
Worth a look.
===================
2) Top Ten Things NOT to Buy at Harbor Freight (Humor) I can’t resist things lists like this. This one comes from DetroitTom in Tractorbynet forum… 10 Things I Wouldn’t Buy from Harbor Freight: 1) Parachutes 2) Fire Extinguishers 3) Pacemakers 4) Vaccines 5) Birth control devices 6) Elevators 7) Bullet proof vests 8) Trigger locks 9) Pitons (I didn’t know what this was either…) 10) Scuba Gear
3) Derogatory yet Slightly Loving Harbor Freight Nicknames Unfortunately I can only remember/find one: “horror freight.” I know there was another one I saw out there… I think it was “hardly freight…” Update… here are some nicknames from the comments on this article and in recent forum threads: Harbor Fright Bottom of the Harbor Freight Harbor Hate The Chinese Cheesecake Factory For their inexpensive, thrice-yearly-use Chinese air tools, we call them, “INGERSOLL-CHAN.” China Fright
Add pictures here
âś–
==================
[...]
********************* Horrible Freight or just simply "Horribles" when referring to the local store. Art
Add pictures here
âś–
On Tue, 13 Dec 2011 15:38:56 -0800 (PST), kimosabe

<snip>
Things I DO buy at Harbor Freight:
1. Glue brushes
..... 'k.... there's gotta' be more....
-Zz
Add pictures here
âś–
"Zz Yzx" wrote:

---------------------------------------- Disposable items such as gloves and chip brushes.
Quick connect pneumatic couplings.
Spring clamps.
Lew
Add pictures here
âś–

Their multimeters look just like some of the others (I bet they're the same internally) but cost way less. As a result, I've got about half a dozen.
If there's not a multimeter around when you need it, you don't have enough.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Add pictures here
âś–
On Dec 13, 9:20 pm, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

http://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece-high-speed-steel-wood-lathe-chisel-set-47066.html
HSS lathe tools from Harbor Freight. Good buy for spindle work.
Add pictures here
âś–
On Dec 13, 10:20 pm, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

I feel pretty much the same as everyone else about HF. Go in there with your eyes open and you'll do OK. Be cautious, though, with regard to the multi-meter. I work at a large government lab and we had a safety alert a couple of years ago with serious problems with the multi-meter HF was selling. I actuall have one myself. Can't bear to throw it out but I'll only use it for low voltage applications.
Bill
Add pictures here
âś–
On Thu, 15 Dec 2011 11:56:06 -0800 (PST), Bill Leonhardt

Bill, are you saying that you're afraid to check a 15kV line with a $3 HF multimeter? Hmm, you may have a point there.
-- Silence is more musical than any song. -- Christina Rossetti
Add pictures here
âś–
On Tue, 13 Dec 2011 15:38:56 -0800 (PST), kimosabe

Pitons are a metal spike used in rock and mountain climbing. You use them to hold the ropes.
Don't ask me for more details. You won't find my fat ass going up a rock wall no matter how big the rope.
Add pictures here
âś–
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

You want an argument, change the subject.
Lew
Add pictures here
âś–
On Tue, 13 Dec 2011 15:38:56 -0800 (PST), kimosabe

You must not climb.

Love it!

You forgot the ones I hear most: Horrible Freight, Harbor Fright.
I've been buying tools from them for 40 years and am still using some (if not most) of them. There've been some real losers, but all told, the tools have been quite serviceable.
I've had to fine-tune just as many brand-name US-made tools, too. (clean, lube, deburr, refinish handles, etc.)
-- However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. -- Sir Winston Churchill
Add pictures here
âś–
On 12/13/2011 10:49 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Some years ago I bought a couple of their orange-accented mini-bar clamps, the Quick-Grip knockoffs. They were just too cheap to resist and they were a little longer than the Irwin ones I had. The handle broke on the first one within one minute of removing it from the package, during my very first attempt to clamp it onto something. I claim no extraordinary "grip" strength, and certainly squeezed it no harder than any of the hundreds of times I have used the Irwins.
I decided to remember to be gentle with the second, reserving it for light tasks. It broke on the very first light task. The pretty orange plastic cracked in half, just like the first clamp.
Add pictures here
âś–
kimosabe wrote:

http://www.toolcrib.com/blog/2008/08/buyer-beware-a-harbor-freight-buying-guide-the-good-enough-the-bad-and-the-abysmal
Laugh all you want. Recently I tried to use a Lowe's house-brand (TaskForce) 1/8" hex wrench. It broke. That's exactly what it did, the wrench snapped right in two!
I've been using hex wrenches for 50 years and never had one break. Oh, they'll BEND or TWIST if too much torque is applied, but break? Never. And I wasn't even using a cheater, just hand pressure. On a hex-head WOOD screw!
I hie myself to my truck and retrieve my back-up set ($3.99 from HF). Did the job.
I took the offending hex wrench back to Lowes and told the manager I wanted to trade this defective in material, design, and workmanship tool for a ten-dollar gift card.
"We don't guarantee our low-priced hand tools" he said.
"Odd," I replied. "Harbor Freight has a lifetime guarantee on all the hand tools they sell."
"Get the fuck outta my store!" he said, as he began to pummel me with a returned hunk of plastic pipe. Or at least that's what I heard.
As soon as I find a moving staircase, I'm gonna escalate.
Add pictures here
âś–

This is the first time in my life I've seen the word 'hie' outside of a crossword puzzle.
Add pictures here
âś–
kimosabe wrote:

How about "Hie old Silver".
--
Gerald Ross

Everyone must row with the oars he has.
âś–
Nickname; "Chinese-political-prisoner-tool-company'.
My BIL loves the place. I'm more careful, balancing cost, how much I use the tool, and how bad I'm going to feel if/when it breaks. I've got a lot of small hand tools from there, and a car system scan tool, but not much that would see heavy service. I work in a research lab in a State university, and almost ALL the hand tools are HF because they are inexpensive, and as one prof says "they have a high vapor pressure" (they evaporate quickly).
Add pictures here
âś–
On Wed, 14 Dec 2011 13:56:25 -0800 (PST), lektric dan

My fave is Chinese Red Dragon Noodle and Machine Tool Factory.

Yeah, they're a great buy for loan-out to idiots (aka: your friends and neighbors, wives, kids, etc.)
-- However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. -- Sir Winston Churchill
Add pictures here
âś–
Larry Jaques wrote:

I bought a gallon of Evaporust and a 50-foot "fish tape" from them this week. Can anything go wrong?--lol The fish tape needs to pull wires through the off-the-shelf offset connectors (between EMT and the box).
Bill
Add pictures here
âś–

All I can think of to say here is likely not in the NEC guidelines: "Thou Shalt Not Pull Rusty Wires Thru Galv Fittings"
P.S: Don't use Evaporust as a wire lube, either. DAMHIKT
-- However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. -- Sir Winston Churchill
Add pictures here
âś–
On 12/14/2011 7:59 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Don't sweat it, Larry, Bill has a 2-ounce bottle of G-B WireAide that I gave him a little while back.
Add pictures here
âś–