A Good Sharpening Service Near You?

Page 1 of 2
Here's the idea of the thread. If you know of a good local sharpening service respond by giving the name of the service and where they are located (city and state please).
UA100
Unisaw A100 wrote:

IDAGS. How can I tell when I need a good sharpening service for my TS carbide blades? Are there objective things to look for?
-- Mark
Mark Jerde wrote:

Yes, a good source of potable water.
UA100
WTF? Circle Saw of Tucson. Good water from the ground, augmented with Colorado river water from a ditch. Tom

Someday, it'll all be over....
I send my friends to Paul's Grinding in Winnipeg, Canada - just south of Lake Winnipeg, one of the largest lakes in the world.
Rob
Good: D&R Saw and Tool    Dallas, TX
Bad Precision Tool & Construction    Tucson, AZ. I had planer and jointer blades sharpened there last summer. a) They didn't remove the wire from the blade, b) The blades weren't even placed in the fixture straight, the machining was significantly crooked. I'm going to have to have these things re-sharpened just to use them. Pointing out my concerns to the guy at PT&C -- he didn't seem to see anything wrong.
Unisaw A100 wrote:

??? What does drinking water have to do with knowing whether or not it is time to have a saw blade sharpened?
-- Mark
Mark Jerde wrote:

Sorry, I thought you were trying to take the thread off topic. :-)
Wood burning and cuts becoming harder are good signs.
UA100

But what about (IIRC) the original question - are their objective measures of a sharpening shops ability? Or do you just send in a trial blade and see what comes back?
mttt wrote:

Actually, the original question was:
"If you know of a good local sharpening service respond by giving the name of the service and where they are located (city and state please)."
The whole point of the thread was/is for people to tell other people where they can get good service. That should at least eliminate the trial and error.
Now go and start a thread on "When Will I Know My Saw Needs To Be Sharpened". It's OK, people start threads all the time.
UA100

Fair bust! And I'm benefiting from your original question!

Ok! Again, I plan on using one of these folks.

:) OK - but I was asking "How Do I Know That Acme Sharpening Inc, is *Good*?"
Admittedly, (and as you proll'y suspected) I don't know my back-side from a carbide tip in this area! Acme could hand me back a big a$$, 10" washer, with Black Sharpie marks and I probably would leave the store happy until I tried to mount it.
You guys are smart! Just wondering if the proof is in the cutting, or if you have *another* secret handshake with Sharpening Services that avoids 10" washers coming back. You know - that Cabal thing...
Now 'scuse me while I start another thread. Got a question about Anteaters that's been bothering me.

dang! he's on to us....
On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 00:56:26 GMT, "Mark Jerde"

Here's are a few things to look for:
Inspect each blade visually to make sure that there aren't any chips on the face, sides or top of any teeth, and that there are not any cracks in the carbide. (To make sure the sharpener checked them and didn't just run the sucker)
If you get teeth replaced, check the weld to make sure it is solid, and that the steel behind the carbide is not discolored. If it is blued, the tooth in question may have lost it's temper, and you could lose the tip right away. It might be ok, but why risk it if you have a choice? You can also look at the bottom of the face where there is usually a small bevel, and make sure it is perpendicular to the blade itself. Carbide is only strong in one direction, and it should be oriented properly. Even if the orientation is good enough to work, a sloppy mounting is not a good sign.
Get a micrometer and measure each tooth to make sure that the teeth are consistant. If you get a dial mic with a post, you can mount your blade on a spindle and turn it to check for consistancy- a decent sharpening should stay within a range of 1-2 mils on the top and sides, or else your teeth will wear unevenly. New blades are generally not this precise, but if you're having them professionally done, you should expect better specs. Be advised that some blade styles have different tooth heights to increase performance: for example- a miter blade has teeth in groups of 5, four of them alternately bevel and should be the same height, but the fifth is flat and should be 10-15 mils lower, since it's only funtion is to knock off the v-shaped tip inside the cut. If it is the same height, it will be doing far too much of the work, and will chip quickly. A triple-chip blade alternates between a tooth with beveled corners and flat teeth. The beveled teeth should be 10-15 mils higher than the flat teeth.
And of course, it may seem obvious, but make sure it isn't just cheaper to buy a new blade- sometimes sharpening is just too expensive, especially if you need teeth replaced or the blade is warped.
Good luck!
Raleigh Saw Raleigh, NC
--
McQualude

I'd like to find on around the St. Louis area. I'm south of St. Louis about 100 miles and there is nothing in this area that I've been able to find so since we drive to St. Louis about every month or so finding a good sharpening service up in that area would be great.
--
Mike S.
snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net
Mike S. wrote:

Supreme Saw and Grinding - St. Louis.
On Gravois, east of Jefferson
Sawblades - Forrest Manf.
Everything else done right here on premises, done the way I want it, when I want it and at the price I want to pay.
Bob S.
Bay Area Carbide Concord, CA I'd be surprised if they have a web site. They don't look like that kind of place
They helped me, a relative newbie to precision woodworking, get the right products and services, and at a fair price.
The are good supporters of the local woodworking club, as well as the adult education woodworking classes.
People who know a heck of a lot more about cutting edges than I do recommend their serices.
I'm satisfied.
Patriarch

You beat me to this one. They do a good job and the price is good. They're also the only place in town to get Whiteside router bits as far as I know.
Greg

KB Sharpening in Milton Wisconsin. About 35 miles south of Madison
Mike