A Gloat - thanks to you all

Well, I was in the "Orange Store" looking for something they didn't have when I went past their stack of ply. Thinking, two hurricanes and perhaps one more, hit Florida and therefore ply is going to be in short supply and prices might rise, I wanted to see what they had in stock for what price. Well, they have this 3/4 shop-grade, sort of maple veneer, for about $31. I looked at it and the top piece is sort of chewed up on one edge. I ask the nearest apron guy if they discount. Sure, go see the head, he's by the cash register. I go over explain to him what I saw, etc. So he writes me out a ticket. I got a cart and grabbed another guy to help load it and went to the checkout.
Well, the guy there takes my ticket and says - "that will be ONE DOLLAR and EIGHT CENTS"! I say WHAT?! And he repeats it. So I paid my $1.08 and left.
Now the piece sits in the garage waiting to turned into a shop cabinet, after I trim that nasty edge.
Not bad, huh? Want to thank the many posters here who say - always ask if you see damaged goods and try for a discount. This time, I got a "gloat" and feel pretty good for myself.
MJ Wallace
BTW: I think I saw two or more damaged sheets in the stack and might go back tomorrow or Thursday for those as well. Needless to say the HD location shall remain "undisclosed", sort of like Dick Cheney!

You put me to shame. I thought I got a good deal for a 1 x 4 x 4" pine at 50.
That's stealing, you know... :)

Yeah - that Maple 3/4" ply is $36 up here. But if you're willing to wade thru the stack, some sheets are pretty decent. I think it's stamped D/D - if there's such a grade and if that's the grade.
I picked up a sheet and it actually had some nice figure and bird's eyes (bird's eye's? bird eye's?)?

I got a sheet of the maple/birch stuff that was mostly BI. That sheet became my surround speakers. Turned out VERY nice.
http://cerchaos.homeip.net:1280/woodworking6.html
Chris
--
Chris Richmond | I don't speak for Intel & vise versa

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 22:26:21 +0000 (UTC), Chris Richmond - MD6-FDC ~

Not that there's anything wrong with that . . . ;)
patrick conroy wrote:

From my knowledge of apostrophes, you got it right first time. The anomaly you refer to is a bird's eye (the eye of a bird). Plural would be bird's eyes (no apostrophe - EVER - for plural). If you were actually referring to eyes belonging to more than one bird (e.g. you bought a jar of eyes that used to belong to seagulls!) then it would be birds' eyes.
Cheers,
Andy

I'll refrain from asking about the plural for: 1) rhinoceros 2) mongoose 3) panty-hose