A gentle reminder for "the season"

Page 5 of 6
On 24 Dec 2003, Norman D. Crow spake unto rec.woodworking:

I don't imagine an OLD virgin would be much fun at all.
Norman D. Crow wrote:

Not really. JOAT is no barbarian. He doesn't require a sacrifice of the *whole* virgin. Just a little part of her. Right JOAT? Or do I read you all wrong? Would you rather get somebody to sweep your house than sample cherries jubilee? ;)
"T." wrote:

Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:
Greg G. wrote in message

The daughters told us that, since my wife has a cold, we will have to hold off on the feats of strength and airing of grievances until the weekend.
Festivus for the Rest of Us
snipped-for-privacy@null.com wrote:

You know, The only thing worse than all the PC garbage is people who stick to the word of the law rather than the spirit. My family has people of every religion in it. And no religion, come to think of it. We can find other things to argue about than basic civility.
Merry Xmas, Happy Hanukah, whatever-it-is Kwanza, Merry Yule and Blessed Be, etc. Sheesh, Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:

Padded room with a view
RWC3
RikC wrote:

misplaced what I haven't already lost. Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:

While you are being oh so politically correct and worrying about the possibility of offending some people of certain religious groups you go and offend me with this post. Who appointed, elected, or died and left you in charge of not offending others? I am not a christian, and I'm not defending them, but I find your action of posting this sanctimonious drivel as a slap in the face of free speech. All people in this country have the right to speak out and celebrate, in a nonviolent manner, whatever religion they choose. And as long as they are not cramming it down my throat or trying to convert me I have no issue whatsoever with this. I do have serious issues with those who believe they have a constitutional, god given, or other right to never be offended. I know for a fact that it isn't in the constitution and to date no one has been able to point this out to me in any of their books of gospel either. So don't go pedaling that "someone might be offended" crap here. </rant>
Art

Well said!
I AM a Christian, my family & I celebrate CHRISTmas and Easter. Yes, we celebrate by exchanging gifts, and yes, we spend money for them, but that spending is not the "reason for the season"!
It just so happens that my best friend is Jewish, and does NOT celebrate these holidays, but instead celebrates his Jewish holy days(BTW, if you consult Webster, several of the definitions of *holiday* are in reference to *HOLY day*, so all you PC nuts out there better find a new word!). We frequently read our Bibles and pray together, honoring the similarities and respecting the differences, without trying to "ram" our own beliefs down others throats.
As long as I'm in *rant* mode . . . Something to really infuriate the PC nuts . . I volunteer in elementary school for said best friend, who teaches 2,3,4th grade spec. ed. kids with emotional problems. Every Monday morning before school a small group including the principal, my Jewish friend, a black woman, and me, meet in an empty classroom for about 15min. to talk and(heaven forbid) *PRAY* for a good week in teaching and that we may be guided & successful in helping the children.
Rant/off
Everyone have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Thank you, end of story.
Nahmie

Fine. Nothing illegal. Just don't force it on the kids, and you're in the clear.
"and to date no one has been able to point this out to me in any of their books of gospel either"
Romans 14:21 It is good neither to eat meat nor drink wine nor do anything by which your brother stumbles or is offended or is made weak.
Not trying to impose... just didn't want you going through life not having it pointed out...<g>
Well, well. I learn something new every day. Thanks mel.
Art

Null.... you need to go suck a huskie !!
Actually that was out of context. Paul was writing to his fellow brethren in Rome instructing them on how to behave. Not offending your brother as mentioned in the text refers to brothers in Christ.
The very concept of Christianity is the most offensive religion to man. It's intended to be. It states that nothing man can do is worthy enough. It's the only religion that teaches man can't earn his way to heaven, that Jesus was necessary to take the place of man so that God's justice could be done. We believe that God being God could not overlook the sins of man and that he chose to assume the burden himself by sending in perfect son to die in our place. In simpler words.... you aren't and never will be good enough so that means you're stuck....no hope. Unless.....he fixes it for you.

And a Merry Christmas to you too.
BTW I, with out being in the slightest bit offended, have been offered greetings and salutations having to do with at least three different religions in the past year. Well, I'll cut this short, please quit trying to p___ on others' good mood, there's no call for it.
No reason to be offended by such a comment though either, is there? Do you celebrate Thanksgiving or use $20 bills? Ask a Native American what he/she thinks about Thanksgiving (more specifically, what happened the following year) or what they think about Andrew Jackson.
Mike

Hey, this is a woodworking news group. Keep it on topic, like discussing Robin's butt.
Happy Winter Solstice to all you pagans out there.
In a very ecumenical action, my bicycling club held its "holiday" party this past weekend at Temple Israel.
Dick Durbin Celebrating Christmas in Tallahassee
Or Summer Solstice to antipodeans.
You Americans think there's only one hemisphere.

Well, only one that is right side up. You guys are in big trouble if gravity fails for any reason. Ed