A feel Good Moment.

G'day all, This morning I loaded my scroll saw and a heap of finished items, some timber and a fold up bench onto the ute and attended the local Old Peoples Home. I had been asked to do a demo awhile ago and had thought (hoped) that the lady that had done the asking had forgotten about it.

Since getting crook and being retired from the Police Force about 5 years ago, crowds don't do much for me and as for talking to a group it put the fear of christ in me. It's also fair to say since she rang me about 3 days ago, I haven't had much shut eye.

Anyhow, I dutifully took my tablets this morning, had a couple of extra smokes took a deep breath and away I went. It was honestly one of the most enjoyable 2 hours I have had in a long while. Not only did I (Hopefully) give them an interesting and anjoyable time but they have helped me more than they will ever know. So for the moment all's good, besides being bloody exhausted. :)

If you get the oportunity do it.

regards John

Reply to
John B

Ah - the Cast Your Bread Upon the Waters thing.

They got a great demonstration - and for some, just having a visitor is a treat. You got back something that can't be bought and truly priceless - since you can't buy feelings, especially good feelings.

Ya done good. Not surprising - you feel good. There are so many people who are in need. You reduced some of the need that's out there.

Thanks for sharing a nice thing - for you and the folks at the "home".

charlie b

Reply to
charlieb

Thanks Charlie, I really appreciate the response. I'm going to make the oldies some jigsaw puzzles with a variety of pieces, out of 6 or 8mm board, so that they can handle them. They all enjoyed making the simple one which I made as a demo. Because of failing eyesight and rather feeble hands I feel that they would be able to get some enjoyment out of them. As an aside, one thing that did enoy me was the way some of the staff spoke to the residents. Not harshley or rudely, but like they were a two year old, very condesending. Have fun all the best John

Reply to
John B

Good on ya, John.... Seems that the way to receive is truly to give..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

mac davis wrote: | On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 13:16:43 +0800, John B | wrote: |

|| Not only did I (Hopefully) give them an interesting and anjoyable || time but they have helped me more than they will ever know. || So for the moment all's good, besides being bloody exhausted. :)

| Good on ya, John.... | Seems that the way to receive is truly to give.. | | mac

aol!

Mac, wth have you been? We've missed you! What's turning?

Morris Dovey

G'day Mac, Missed you mate. Hows the new ranch going ? You and the missus must be just about settled in by now. Have a good one and keep on keeping on.

regards John

Reply to
John B

Hey Morris...

Been a long (6 months) struggle trying to get DSL through the local phone company... finally gave up and bought a $!%()^)^ satellite dish... *groan*

We moved down in October to a NOT finished house... camped out for a few months in a 1,600 sq house with no electricity, water, etc... kind of fun, really...

Got electricity in December and everything else has been coming together well...

Note: Don't run power tools when you're on a generator.... It ate the charger for my drills and the starting capacitor for the mini lathe, along with several fluorescent fixtures that will never be the same..

I've set the shop up a few dozen times... still have no idea where things will end up, but having fun...

I ended up only putting the lathes, band saw and work bench IN the shop... all the flat work tools and grinders are in the carport, which makes dust collection a LOT easier.. *g*

I'll see if this slow-ass connection will let me post some pics to ABPW....

Good to see that you and John are still kickin'!!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

"mac davis" regaled us with his south of the border adventures>

I recall you telling us about how things were going to be good for you in your new country. Any regrets?

The elecricity and DSL thing sounds like a real problem. Have the other folks building around you had similar problems?

I have tried to run shop tools on a generator too. I quickly gave up on that idea.

Do you have to send to the states for parts and tools? What is the shipping situation there?

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Not a one, Lee... As a matter of fact, my wife is in the states for 2 weeks to visit family and I just didn't want to deal with the BS involved with being in the states... I'm just so comfortable here that I'd just as soon stay and play in the shop all day...

Electricity was a known time problem... had to wait for the Mexican government to approve (accept the proper amount of "tip") the new power grid for our area, then authorize the "ranch" to wire up each person's power and THEN they came out and put meters in... Some tracts have had power for years, but as ours is newer and mostly empty lots, it took a while...

Some folks have real good luck with the DSL, some take up to a year to get it and it works ok... The 2 problems as I see it are that everything is wireless here and that the phone company has NO competition, so they really don't have a motivation to do well..

I get a lot of stuff from the web... through the US postal service... Mostly Lee Valley, Craft Supplies, Pens of Color and Grizzly... We have a mail box here that gets us a PO Box in Calif., and a courier going up

5 days a week to get it... Lots of limitations, though, such as no UPS or Fedex, only parcel post... also, the Mexican homeland security limits incoming mail to 4 pounds and 14", so that limits things...

The good news is that most stores like Lowes, home depot, sears, harbor freight, etc. are in either El Central or Yuma, both of which are less than 3 hours away...

I've lucked out on both a table saw and a planner as each time there was a friend on their way down and they picked them up...