a common topic repeated elsewhere

Hi fellas,

I am "in" the rec.guns NG and a new topic has emerged, one we all know.

To wit: the poor quality of new stuff, fresh from the manufacturer or whoever makes it for the manufacturer (which helps absolve the manufacturer from having to do repairs on shoddy stuff) . I think we have more of that problem in woodworking, but it exists in other universes too :-)

James snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com

Reply to
brocpuffs

Woodworking is about making things from wood, not about buying tools.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

So, if wood"working" is not about buying tools, what the hell are we doing with these opposing thumbs?

Reply to
Swingman

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Is it that the quality of the products has gone down, or that we expect more from what we buy. or is that we expect a lot more from the products we do buy then we are actually paying for.

I would not trade my new vehicle for my first car. It was a lot of fun but the amount of work required to keep it running was substantially more than what I have now.

I think the same thing can be applied to most goods. Most consumer goods are much higher quality then they were 20 years ago, but the high end stuff seems to have dropped off a bit, probably because for most people they do not need the high end stuff and are unwilling to pay for it. years ago, if you wanted something reliable you had to pay top dollar. Now you can get stuff that is very serviceable for a lot less, and while it may not be quite up to the standards of top notch stuff of a while back, it also costs much less.

Reply to
Bob Peterson

Andy, you're gonna get crucified for that one....

Reply to
bridger

Bring it on.... I've spent the last two days making sword mountings

8-)

Today I used a _wide_ range of tools. I admit that I roughed the stock down on the tablesaw first, but after that I spent a whole day working and didn't use anything other than four chisels and a pencil. 90% of it was with just one shallow carving gouge. (I was using lime, so I didn't even need to re-hone it.)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

AHA! TOOLS! Man, who said I was referring to power tools only?

hmmm - does a pencil qualify as a tool? Of course. Even a flat rock with one edge sharpened is a tool!

TOOL!! Gotcha!

-whatever ;-)

James snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com

Reply to
brocpuffs

The only mitigating comment here is that I remember my dad and grandfathers complaining about the lousy quality of new [farm machinery, cars, guns, tools] as well -- back in the 1960's. While there are declines in some brands, there seem to be other brands that rise to capture niche markets for those who appreciate quality -- witness the businesses like Lee Valley, Steve Knight, Ed Bennett, Horton Brass, McFeeley's, and other similar businesses who, though smaller than the megalithic conglomerates, have carved out a niche in the market and are appreciated by that niche.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

True. But Goodell & Pratt got bought out back in the '30s, IIRC :-).

If it says "Disston & Son(s)", "Goodell Brothers", "Goodell & Pratt", or "Stanley Rule & Level", it's a good (hand) tool.

Oops, almost forgot "Goodell Mfg", the 3rd brother.

I'm sure there were many others, but those are ones I've actually got.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Just gotta jump in-- Since this is "rec" woodworking-- I may have to assume (I Know what it stands for) that yall are a bunch of recreational & some professional woodworkers. IF you use a tool all day long, it must bear up to professional standards. However if you only use a tool from time to time & have the TIME to tweak it to your standards, a less professional (read poorly made or crappy tool) may suffice. On the other hand, if time is not on your hands & money is, the better tool (there are MANY discussions of what is better appear in this forum) may be what you need and have to look for. With that said::

I think the there are poor, good and better tools out there-- some GREAT tools out there. Face it, tool manufacturers are in it for the $ or lira or pounds etc. If they can get by on a name for awhile (& screw a few people) they will do it. (Doesn't make it right, just a simple fact) If you are a homeowner who will use a drill once every other month, why buy the topoftheline??? Actually I have a few BIG LOTS tools (real cheap, most likely remanufactured in Lower Slabovia) that I have used once & will be happy if they ever work again & have gotten my money's worth. A last note-- Times change & almost everything of quality will increase in price. Even free time. JMO Phil

Reply to
Phil