90 Degree Angle Braces - $$$$$$$!!

Page 2 of 6

rrency=2&SID=>
Specialty product, specialty prices. Why not make your own?
--

Roger Shoaf

<http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?pageQ101&categoryQ&abspage=1&ccurrency=2&SID=>
They are heavy aluminum and if they are truly accurate, they are worth it. If you look closely, there is some time in fabricating them, not just simple stamping. You do pay for accuracy. These are not like a 39 bracket from Wal Mart
From the LV web page: Accurately made from 3/16" aluminum, they are square to a tolerance comparable to most machine squares.
Good chance they will be on my next Lee Valley order.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

A premium perhaps Edwin, but $25.00 is far past premium. That's ridiculous. There's just no material cost there and there's nothing spectacular about getting them square. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I sure wouldn't put up that money for something that simple. But then again, that's me.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

The material costs are indeed minimal but don't forget that these items are not just stamped aluminum. The faces are milled square. Think you could make them to the same level of accuracy and make a profit at $12.50 per item? And out of that $12.50 comes labour, tooling, business overhead, distribution, and retail profits.

Produced in quantity, these costs are miniscule. Once tooling is set up it's a run. And tooling for this particular product is not that elaborate. The accuracy they would have you believe is so critical is really rather trivial for any shop. One would wonder though, why they would go to the extent of milling when other, more economical but equally effective methods exist.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Still, someone has to buy the tooling and set it up, and the production run would be limited as these are not high volume products. Do you think $12.50 per piece at the retail level is unreasonable? Don't forget these are made in the US, not in China or some other third world country.

Well, my personal opinion is that they are hardly worth anything - but that is nothing more than a personal opinion. That opinion is based on the commonplace nature of alternate solutions which serve the purpose nicely. To me it just simply looks like a solution looking for a problem. I guess, to fairly answer your question, I would not consider the value they bring to be more than a $2.00 proposition. But again - that's just my opinion.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

the tooling to make these is the same as the tooling to make any of the simpson strongtie hardware. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the manufacturer *was* simpson.
where does it say these are made in the US?
Many woodworkers have difficulty assembling projects; it is hard to square corners while juggling clamps. More disheartening is leaving the glue to cure, only to discover that things crept out of alignment while the piece was clamped.
This pair of right-angle brackets is ideal for temporarily attaching to opposite corners of a cabinet carcass, drawer or box to prevent this frustration. Accurately made from 3/16" aluminum, they are square to a tolerance comparable to most machine squares.
May also be used as braces for constructing power tool jigs or assembly fixtures.

In the picture where it is stamped Kansas City , KS Of course, technically it does not say "Made in USA," but I guess made in KS is good enough.
On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 23:09:12 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

where does it say they are milled?
"Many woodworkers have difficulty assembling projects; it is hard to square corners while juggling clamps. More disheartening is leaving the glue to cure, only to discover that things crept out of alignment while the piece was clamped.
This pair of right-angle brackets is ideal for temporarily attaching to opposite corners of a cabinet carcass, drawer or box to prevent this frustration. Accurately made from 3/16" aluminum, they are square to a tolerance comparable to most machine squares.
May also be used as braces for constructing power tool jigs or assembly fixtures."

Confession time. I did not check whether they were milled or not. Edwin asserted that they were and I just took his word for it - lazy me. I had previously thought they were just stamped based on the picture on the web site.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

They're milled to within .002" per side.

I missed that. where does it say that?

I followed one of the links that someone posted to the manufacturer's site and I did see it there. See if you can find one of the posts from the last couple of days - after the date of my comment above, and you should find the link.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Looked at the pic and they are not milled I can see the die marks on them from the press....they may say that, but I see otherwise....Brian

Hey Brian - include the text you're referring to in your posts will ya? A lot of folks do not keep the entire thread tree visible in our readers and it's about impossible to tell exactly who or what you're commenting on when you don't include the text.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Sorry bout that Mike..I forgot about that................Brian

just my $.02 worth anyway> couple of days - after the date of my comment above, and you should find the