8541 MDF Targets - MDF Under Extreme Use

Our gun club has two meets a year.

About every third year we can get on a range that allows us to shoot more than 600 yards.

We call these shoots our 8541 meets.

For a long time we shot straight military targets but the paper would often flap in the wind.

This year we are shooting at 800 yards and we are gluing the paper targets to 1/2" MDF.

This should settle down the wind factor.

I am making these targets.

I wish that I could figure out a way to cheat.

On Sunday evening I will give you a full report of how MDF stands up to 30 caliber ammunition.

It is important to us wooddorkers to know how our materials stand up to hard use.

(The club is restricted to shooters of the 1903-A3 Springfield - the best rifle ever made)

watson - who hopes that Jim Clarke, who is 81 years old, will not kick his ass again - too badly.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)

(website)

Reply to
Tom Watson

I have not considered designing a piece of furniture to make use of shot =

up MDF -- but should I decide to do so I will read your report with=20 great interest.

Enjoy yourself.

:-)

--=20 Will R. Jewel Boxes and Wood Art

power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20 who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
WillR

At one point in time, I worked at a shop that made hand made antique looking furniture out of pine. To simulate the look of worm holes, we would set the pieces out in the field behind the shop and fire a few rounds of bird shot at them out of a

16 gauge shotgun.

After the barrage was over, it was time to put the finish on.

Reply to
Robert Allison

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 18:51:54 -0600, Tom Watson wrote (in article ):

You'll need to brace/frame it with 2x4's. If you get two holes in it and a gust of wind smacks it, the stuff will fold (BTDT)

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce