Subject Author Posted Replies

End grain on MDF
I have seen a few queries on edge-treating MDF. Here is a wonderful solution: A sign-maker had me do some 3D sculpting on my CNC using 1" MDF as a substrate. Needless to say, it exposed a whole whack...
12
12

OT: July 1...HAPPY CANADA DAY!! YOU HOSERS!
No wonder you're such a weird bloke Luigi :-)
24
24

OT:2009 Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest
Dunno why, but this stuff just cracks me up. I'm sure there are a few here who will enjoy this: Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest 2009 Results "Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the...
2
2

Not too shabby...
I last visited here a few years ago, during the height of the poopy pants saga, Bay Area Dave debacle and the struggle to keep the filters up to date. I vaguely recall a splinter group (pardon the...
9
9

friends working together in shop
Not talking about job workshops, but working with friends on projects at home shop. Looking for some advise or experiences. My tools and shop and buddy or neighbor gets hurt doing something. What do...
28
28

Jigs
You might email the author and see if he'll sell some. I don't know that it would take a lot of time however. I've been looking at his plans and mulling them over. He already provides a gear cutting...
3
3

Band Saw questions
Is a .5hp motor a good size for a band saw? What other specs would you look for if planning to purchase? I ask due to someone selling a used one though the only specs thus far are the .5hp he lists...
42
42

Loose M&T
I built an adjustable fixture that allows me to make very accurate loose mortise and tenon joints. I have been using tenons fabricated from hardwood, either Oak or Poplar. Needless to say, it requires...
7
7

Help choosing wood finish for water slide
This is a water slide shown here: wood part is made of 2x4s. My objective is to paint it with some paint that would be: 1) Non-slippery for wet feet 2) Would last for 4 years 3) I would prefer a...
6
6

Orbiltal(pendulum) jigsaw
Hi all, one simple question. I have to cut a straight line in a piece of laminated wood. Should I use the orbital motion or not? The wood is about 1 1/2" thick and about 24 inches wide and I'd like to...
12
12

Pictures of "Water Slide 2.0" that I made this weekend
Comments are on the webpage. remains to be painted, maybe I can coax my FIL to do it. i http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Water-Slide-2.0/It

Wooden Knitting Needles
Global Warming to Speed Up as Carbon Levels Show Sharp Rise By Geoffrey Lean The Independent UK Sunday 15 January 2006 Global warming is set to accelerate alarmingly because of a sharp jump in the...
22
22

Preserving Bark
I've been asked to make a base for a statue using an approximately 12" diameter x eight inch long piece of red oak log. They would like the bark to be maintained. Any thoughts on treating and...
8
8

Saw choice
I have a chance of buying 1 of 3 saws at a sale . A miter saw, radial arm, or a 12" sliding miter saw. My question is, will the sliding miter saw replace a radial arm saw and give me the best of both...
22
22

RIP: Billy Mays
10