Subject Author Posted Replies

OT: (Not really) Yummy Chinese furniture.
LONDON?A British court says hundreds of people who received chemical burns from leather sofas will share 20 million pounds, or about $30 million, in compensation. The customers took legal action after...
4
4

Lap joint on end of 2x4?
The proper answer is 'buy or borrow a table saw with a dado blade'. However, I don't want to. I want to use my plunge router to place a 3-1/2" square lap joint about 3/4" deep on the ends of several...
102
102

Will Vinyl Trim Support A Storm Door?
I recently replaced my entry door and now it's time to install a new storm door. The Question: Does 5/4 x 4 vinyl trim have as much holding strength as wood? Can I hang a full view storm door from it?...
1
1

Single-Source supplier for Wood/Metal working tools? Your recommendation?
I need to quickly put together an order for about $10K or so of basic woodworking and metalworking machinery and smaller stuff, for a Community Workshop starting at a University. I know of goodold...
23
23

Drywall lift
################### Does anyone have plans for a homemade drywall lift ? I saw one in an old issue of Fine Homebuilding awhile back made from 2 X 4s , on a rolling base frame. Smitty...
8
8

OT: Sunday morning phone call.
Caller ID: Unknown Number No message left. We roll over and go back to sleep. one hour later Caller ID: Unknown Number Message: This is Children's Hospital in Columbus Ohio....Angela dives for the...
28
28

Anyone use Ichthammol ointment for removing slinter / sliver?
So I just bought some Ichthammol ointment to try and draw out a particularly stubborn doug fir splinter that broke off somewhere deep in the joint on my index finger. I'm convinced it has gone...
29
29

Waterproofing wood
Disgusted with the obscene prices demanded for vessel sinks (up to $300) for a guest bathroom, I've resolved to find a substitute. One possibility with which I intend to experiment is a 12" bowl made...
18
18

Router bit for cutting Deep mortise
I wish to cut 1/2" wide mortises all the way through a fourbyfour (cutting from both sides of course). Was just about to order the Amana bit# 45426 which is a double-fluted straight plunge bit, with...
56
56

ANZAC Day 2010
They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old: Age shall not weary them, nor the years contemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning We will remember them. (from For the Fallen, by...
2
2

Shelf Pin Grommets/Sleeves/Inserts
Anyone know where to buy the kind of grommets that are for a 5mm shelf rest but do not have a flange. I've seen these before and they are just tubes with a bit of a knurled surface on the outside to...
4
4

Apricot wood
...has anyone done work with apricot? I'm doing a renovation and there's a dead apricot tree in the back yard that will get the chainsaw treatment soon...it's got a thickish trunk (maybe 12" in...
4
4

Kity 1619 Saw Blade Alignment
I have a Kity 1619 saw and I have discovered that the saw blade is not correctly aligned with the slot on the table. I cannot see any obvious adjustment for the balde. Does anyone have any ideas?...
4
4

chisels
I know most of you wouldn't abuse your chisels, either cheapos or expensive. My wife's brother in law came over, eying and touching my applewood logs and stopped when he saw me watching. He then...
7
7

Free "Lumber" in Houston?
http://houston.craigslist.org/zip/1705298621.htmlSonny http://houston.craigslist.org/zip/1705298621.htmlSonny