Subject Author Posted Replies

Asbestos concern?
While reading about stipple, for the sake of installing my 11 fluorescent fixtures, the asbestos issue arose... I was just planning to knock down the stipple with a putty knife and screw my lights and...
63
63

Stabilizing wood blocks
I bought another block of Paduk at Rocklers today, and it just had the ends covered in wax. Just wondering how long to let it just sit to slowly dry out and stabilize? Can't remember if I asked this...
12
12

Sliding dovetail
I've been assigned to make a little step stool for my granddaughter and want to attach the full width legs to the top using a sliding dovetail. Material is maple. Seems a bit much to expect to rout...
6
6

Shim in sizes
I've done a search and unable to find anyone who sells washer as shims in a variety of thicknesses for a variety of bolts. I have tried to create my own to a degree, but it would be nice to find a...
10
10

Updated links
I'm in the process of reworking my web site. I've reorganized my woodworking links, and would appreciate any additions the wreckers and turners may have as well as any deletions that should be made....
1
1

Frame and Panel Capillary !!
Popular wisdom has it that inset panels should be stained/dyed before building the frame in order to avoid witness lines as the wood moves with ambient humidity. But switching to water-based dye, I...

General Finish stains and dyes - thumbs up
Have started working with these water-based products and so far my experience has been great. Just did a job for a client who want to match the stain /colour of a factory-finished ash hardwood floor...
4
4

Staining and end grain
Is there anything you can put on the end grain of a block of wood, so that it will not take a darker stain than the rest of the wood? Thanks.
5
5

Why bother.... ?
"We have an exclusive coupon just for you! Use it to slice 20% off the regular price of the item of your choice." Yabbut: "This offer is for Internet orders only at and excludes sale items, power...
31
31

Sharing photos from lighting experiment
I have the results from the lighting configuration test some of us discussed some 6 months ago. Maybe my procedure is more interesting to see than the results. I got a camera this week too (finally)....
87
87

Source for wood blocks
I would like to find a scource for blocks of different woods besides the turning blanks at Rockler. Would like something w/o the wax, and hopefully stabilized. Anyone got any links, or for the San...
2
2

Anyone try that new water-born alkoid (oil) paint?
I got some from Benjamin-Moore... oil paint in a water base! It's quite thick, it says it can be sprayed... I put some in my spray gauge which is supposed to run out in 45 seconds but it took a few...

O/T: A Prognostication
The Congress will not pass a bill to raise the federal debt by 08/02/2011. As a result, President Obama will execute an executive order to raise the federal debt on 08/02/2011 per terms of the 14th...
59
59

Cleaning rust off Stanley #15 plane
I went "shopping" in my Dad's garage again. I have a sticky door at home and figured I could use a plane to shave it down a hair. The plane hasn't been used in a long time and has a little surface...
25
25

OT: THIS is freakin' AMAZING music machine
Sorry for the OT post, but I think a few of you will like this: "Zz Yzx" rhymes with "physics"; or " Isaacs" if you prefer.
9
9