Subject Author Posted Replies

Congratulations Brian!
Hey Brian, Congrats for getting your Hot Tip published in the latest Fine Woodworking. Off topically, do you have a chemistry publications? Enquiring scientific minds want to know. (Of course I could...
12
12

Lathe height
I posted this on RWT then noticed that group is not very active. I have a cheap lathe I'm learning to use. I have several books from the library which are a big help but none mention the correct...
6
6

Drawers need metal runners.
Inherited these *other-worldly* plastic runners on the sides of the kitchen unit drawers and they are disintegrating after about thirty years of frequent use. kitchen drawers themselves are...
4
4

bandsaw thrust bearings
Anyone using the Iturra thrust bearings with O ring seals? need new bearings and am curious how these perform over a standard bearing. Can the O ring be removed for cleaning?
2
2

What is it? Set 399
Thanks for the link, I didn't realize they still made this tool, the patent for it was issued in 1919.
65
65

"Tuning" a bandsaw
A serious question: Some advocate a "pluck" method for tensioning the bandsaw blade. It's supposed to play a clear musical note (an F, if I recall.) I've noted that digital instrument tuners cost...
11
11

Removing mildew odor
Current project is refurbishing an antique doll trunk for my wife to use for her sewing and knitting stuff. Dates to around the 20s. Unfortunately, the inside is in pretty sorry shape, so the moldy...
20
20

Blood
Went to give blood today. While I was lying back ignoring the pain from the fat tube in my vein and chatting to the nurse she said 'What are you doing later, for the rest of the afternoon?' I thought...
7
7

New shop - level floor, or not?
I've moved into a place that has a large (24 x 50) pole barn on the property. I've started the process of converting it into an enclosed building and I intend to set up my shop in it. I have...
21
21

Why is George Watson always the last to post in every thread branch?
For such a knowledgeable person (he knows everything) you would think he would be sought out for his vast experiences much more than his six or seven other sock puppets are here???? mike
2
2

Sandpaper; Best; Best Price
I read a post about sandpaper that offered the suggestion (affirmed by at least one member) that Norton 3X was the best. Anyone care to share a best price supplier? I was able to purchase a package of...

Presealer for cherry?
Hi, I'm teaching myself the proper conditioning procedures for cherry and I need to preseal it. Can anyone recommend a brand of presealer for the cherry? Thanks.
29
29

Sandpaper and something to get you off your Off topic rants.
Since you guys seem rather lacking a real woodworking topic, I thought I would start one. No flies, no Bush league stuff, no crapola. I was making some sandpaper storage units, got tired of having...
30
30

Reducing large diameter
Need to cut down a wooden baseball bat to turn it into a practise bat (i.e. make it thinner, so more difficult to hit accurately with). Its 28" (710mm) long and 2.2" (56mm) in diameter at the wide...
15
15

O/T: Health Message
Enjoy Lew ----------------------------------------- 1. If walking / cycling is good for your health, the postman would be immortal. 2. A whale swims all day, only eats plankton, drinks water and is...