30 Gauge metal pipe for dust collection.

A friend of mine who ownes a air conditioner business gave me 30 feet of 6 inch 30 gauge metal pipe to use for the main line of my dust collection system I am installing. Anyone used this type of pipe with success? My DC is a grizzly 2hp unit.

Thanks in advance.

Ronnie Aldrich Birmingham, Alabama

Reply to
shooter

Almost certain to collapse first time you turn it on...light HVAC ducting isn't able to standup to the pressure drop of DC systems...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 15:25:24 -0600, Duane Bozarth wrote (in article ):

I've got several 5' runs of the 6" ducting from HD which is 28ga at best, no collapses with full blockage on a 2hp woodsucker cyclone.

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce

Sheet metal gauges run in increasing numbers --> thinner material so a

28 ga is, while not that much in thickness, a marked change (I didn't try ro look up actual nominal dimensions). I'd be real surprised if a 30 ga HVAC duct would stand up, but I'll admit I've not tried it. Worst that could happen would be it just collapses, of course, so OP might as well give it a go if it was donated material. I'd hook just it up and see what happens before I spent a bunch of time hanging it all in place, though... :)
Reply to
Duane Bozarth

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 18:14:40 -0600, Duane Bozarth wrote (in article ):

Yep!

It certainly should work fine as long as the pipe is never fully blocked. Should the pipe become blocked and the pipe collapse, it would serve as a very visible reminder not to do that again....

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce

I just plumbed an entire shop with 30 gauge with the same Griz 2 HP collector. Works like a charm. Most likely you won't get the joints tight enough to pull the maximum suction. Even at the maximum suction, I don't think you can suck it flat.

LFW

Reply to
L. Wilson