3/4" roundover, 1/4" shank router bit?

Have I not Googled with enough intensity? Does this animal exist? Perhaps a 1/4" shank is insufficient for a bit of this size. Dave

That may be the case. I assume you are using a 3/4" radius on some thicker wood and not trying to round over a piece of 3/4" wood and want a radius of about half that. This is a good excuse to move up to a new router with 1/2" collet.
I've heard of people buying the wrong bit because they were not thinking right when they wanted to put a roundover on a 3/4" thick board. Not me, of course, I've just heard stories about it.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

3/4 bit is what you need. Never seen one that big on a 1/4 shank though.     j4
| > Have I not Googled with enough intensity? Does this animal exist? | > Perhaps a 1/4" shank is insufficient for a bit of this size. | > Dave | | That may be the case. I assume you are using a 3/4" radius on some thicker | wood and not trying to round over a piece of 3/4" wood and want a radius of | about half that. This is a good excuse to move up to a new router with 1/2" | collet. | | I've heard of people buying the wrong bit because they were not thinking | right when they wanted to put a roundover on a 3/4" thick board. Not me, of | course, I've just heard stories about it. | | A 3/4" radius bit on the business end of a 1/4" shaft is a lot of tin to spin. A 1/2" shaft is definitely a good idea. It will not flex as much as the skinny shaft under the stress of chewing off big bites of wood.
A plus is most 1/2" collet routers also include a 1/4" insert so all the old bits can still be used and you get the option of needing a whole new set of bits. Just can't get enough of them. :)
--
PDQ
Yep

I think I may heard of the same people...

3/4" radius on the front of a loudspeaker cabinet. Dave

5/8 radius is as big as I can find ( CMT-838.445.11 ) Even that is a bit big for such a small shaft. Wear a leather apron.

The bit would be at least 1-3/4" wide. IMHO that is too big for a 1/2" shank bit.

Oups, that should be too big for a 1/4" shaft.
On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 10:49:53 -0500, Interious

I may as well ask for suggestions. Dave

www.patwarner.com, and then start thinking about budget, and how else you might use the tool.
Patriarch
This is your logical place to check such things:
http://www.freudtools.com/woodworkers/rep/router_bits/Router_Bits/Round_Over/html/Round_Over_1.html
Your answer is NO for these folks who produce more than anybody else....
Interious wrote:

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 10:49:53 -0500, Interious

Dave