220 plugs - what kind?

The contractor building my new workshop has asked what kind of 220 outlets do I want. Anyone have had similiar experiences - what did you chose? Is there a specific model type I should tell him?
I've seen the twist lock types and the straight plugs like for a dryer, but are there others?
MJ Wallace
MJ Wallace wrote:

Depends on the device, no?
--
gabriel

What are you going to plug into it? There are different configurations for different amperages. http://www.nema.org/index_nema.cfm/1427/7823F864-7A7E-4A94-97A310DB6B623EC0 /

A less official, but more convenient reference is
http://www.quail.com/nema.cfm
and I agree with the other poster who said a 6-20R is probably the way to go. Most 220V equipment that you're likely to buy for a home shop comes with a 6-15P or (less likely) 6-20P, either of which will plug into a 6-20R.
You could go the twist-lock route, but my personal opinion is it's more trouble than it's worth to change all the plugs.
Worked for Ontario Power Generation for over 25 years and they changed all their field wiring to twist lock type plugs for safety reasons, they will not accidently pull out. If your equipment comes with the flat type you can get adaptors or do as I did and cut them off and put twist lock on.
R. Gibson

I agree. I would go with twist-locks all the way. Replace any non twist-lock plugs on any equipment, though most equipment in that category comes without a plug, so you get to choose anyway.
Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.
First choose twist lock or straight prong.
Then choose amperage to match the wiring you had installed. I put #12 wiring all around so installed 20 amp receptacles.
Bob

MJ, I would suggest a 20 amp 3wire twist lock, these will be fine for most of your machines.
When I built my shop, I put them where each machine was or going to be located as well as a few extra for good measure. You can always change them out should the need arise. I you have and welding machines, electric dryer or heater, a higher rating (check label on machine) may be required.
You will have to change the cord cap (plug) on your machines but you won't regret it. If money is tight, do not put them in at all. Just have the electrician pull the wire and put a flat cover on the future boxes. This way you can add them as needed.
Here is a sample http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/productdetail.jsp?xi=xi&ItemId11605272&ccitem Dave

If you don't want to go with twist locks install 240 @ 20a and the NEMA 6-20R. It will accept the 240v 15a and 20a plug
Good point, Greg. I put in the receptacles you suggested but forgot about their flexibility. Many 220v only tools come with 15A plugs and these receptacles accept them. I believe that he must have #12 or bigger wire to use the 20 amp receptacles. Hopefully that's what his electrician pulled.
Bob
6-20R.

Thanks to all that responded in this forum and to the one who did so directly. You gave me some terrific information that I passed along to our contractor.
Again, thanks alot!
MJ Wallace
I'm using the 20 amp twist lock too. No complaints, works great.