Subject Author Posted Replies

Lesson learned...
Never use a zero-clearance insert while cutting tapers on a table saw. Reason? The tapered offcut can wedge between the blade and the ZCI, pushing the blade into the workpiece. Makes a helluva noise,...
16
16

Substitute for tilt base router.
Might a bevel bit work? If not (and maybe instead), why not just use wood to build the fixture for the router? I'm not very experienced, so please take that into consideration. Bill
6
6

Headboard progress
All of the wood cutting is done and pieces are fitted, stained and have their first of 3 coats of varnish. I turned the finial this afternoon and stained it. I should be finished this weekend. And...
11
11

The next in my series of kindergarten woodworking questions
A small but significant amount of time has just opened up in my schedule. With any luck, I'll be able to devote some of it to my slow-motion project. I'll be staining it, but I am doing some of the...
15
15

Faux Fireplace/Mantle Project (with miscues); Epoxy Update
Thought I was about finished with the mantle project, but discovered the lo wer trim is too big (looks awkward) and too low (looks awkward). This lowe r trim is to support a shelf, for other...

SawStop science
Hi all ; Can anyone provide a scientific .. yet explanation - of how the saw-stop _detection_ works ? I saw a demonstration - and cannot figure out why : : it works on a finger : it works on a hot dog...
23
23

RE: O/T: Phoenix Area
Looks like the crick has risen a little too much, too quick. Looks like some nasty flooding from a desert rain storm. Hope everybody in the area is OK. Lew
6
6

Second Opinion: Boy, that's a nice looking tree!
Text, from Author 1: Some pics to document that I've made it another year. ^5, Lew. We're with ya! Sonny
3
3

Oakland Shingle Siding Preservation
Are you craving for the restoration and preservation company in Oakland? Cal preserving is that the just one who serves you the most effective. They supply you the new and advance technologies to wash...
2
2

Identifying glue spots
Unlike my previous several projects, I am doing at least some of the assembly on the cookbook shelves before finishing. Worse yet, I will probably be using stain. I tried to remove all of the...
4
4

Head Board Project
Well I am about half way through the next project, a stained mahogany federal style head board. I am building this to go with an existing dresser and chest of drawers. Oddly the existing bed headboard...
6
6

RE: WoodSmith Tip
Use Sanding blocks? Might like this one. Lew Expert woodworking tips, techniques, inspiration and more for woodworkers of any skill level. Expert woodworking tips, techniques, inspiration and more for...
12
12

Runny glue - Titebond 3 - frozen?
Just tried using some reasonably new Titebond 3 that I bought in January I believe. It came out extremely runny, and I can only think that I allowed it to freeze at some point, since the bottle was...
2
2

Gluing dowels
It's a little late to ask at this point, as I've already glued three of the four assemblies with the most dowels, but I've noticed some inconsistencies. I'm doing this: to make four of these: I'm only...
35
35

I need some more help, advice
The checked trestle leg unit is now flexing at/along the check line. I'm p repping it, to apply the epoxy in the crack. I can apply clamps and close the lower part of the crack by about 1/4", from...
20
20