144,000 horsepower

Page 4 of 4
Morris Dovey wrote:

ron @ fastlane sailing in san diego (http://www.fastlanesailing.com /) has a hobie with a hard deck and power boat console mounted on top. they run theirs with an outboard, but i don't know how big it is. you might contact him for further details.
On 3/12/2010 2:50 PM, chaniarts wrote:

I've stashed the link for when I have an engine ready for the job. First I need to get engine and tracking system worked out. The Hobie (spelling corrected) will be a rental boat, so whatever I come up with will be something I can assemble and set in place at the marina, then lift off/disassemble when I'm done.
Thanks!
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

cool.
He also said, "Keep on truckin'."

That'll give you a theoretical roughly 2HP. Enough to move it around, but -not- with much speed. Think 'trolling motor'.
OTOH, if you can fit one concentrator/fluidyne, maybe you can get 2-3 of 'em on board. Now, you're approaching the capabilities of a 5HP outboard. That should be enough to leave a wake -- at least a small one. <grin>

That hurts just to *think* about it.
On 3/12/2010 6:28 PM, Robert Bonomi wrote:

Two is a definite maybe - but from a practical standpoint, just one will be an accomplishment, and a two-mile round trip on a calm, sunny day should be enough to stir up a bit of interest. It might even be a good thing to set a record that'd be easy for someone else to beat. :)

Here's a video showing a couple of very crude pipe oscillators being driven with a small propane flame:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L5fKWe5El4&feature=channel

It's an application of the gas laws that I'd never thought about, and some really serious heat (say, about 200 suns on 8' of tube) should produce a pretty good hoot. :-]
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Would that be a 'solar-powered boat' record?
How about a _water-powered_ boat record? (*THAT* just might appeal to Guiness! :)
Or, if you *really* want to stir up interest, you find a way use something like like carp, or catfish, for thermal mass. Then you lit it slip that the boat is powered by a "fish/sun reactor" (best said when slurred a little). An 'inherently-safe, non-radioactive' device of your own design. Hang a pole over the stern, and claim you've 'gone fission'.
If you're going to have fun with the idea, you may as well *REALLY* have fun with it. <GRIN>

*LONG* time ago, there was a 'traveling science show' that went around to the high schools. one of the things they brought was a bunch of cardboard tubes (from mailing-tube size up to a 16' long, circa 8" ID, carpet roller). they each had a section of metal screening in them a short distance in from one end. Hold it carefully vertical over a high-output Bunsen burner, and let the screen heat up, then remove it from the heat source. Fairly shortly it would start to 'sing' -- louder, and louder, as it found it's "voice".
The carpet roller was -really- impressive; one might say profundo so. :)
With the rapid and frequent movement of the small Hobie, wouldn't a solar tracking system be large, complex and take a good deal of power to operate effectively?
--
Nonny
When we talk to God, we're praying,
On 3/12/2010 11:44 PM, Nonny wrote:

Not necessarily. The control portion can be as tiny/simple/inexpensive as this:
http://www.redrok.com/electron.htm#led3x (warning: large page!)
and small 12 VDC automotive motors with appropriate reduction gearing driving lead screws should be adequate for positioning. I'd guess that a marine/deep discharge battery should be enough for the test drive.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
"Morris Dovey" wrote:

What provisions do you plan to marinize this stuff to survive in either fresh or salt water?
Lew
On 3/13/2010 1:10 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

I'm thinking this will be a one-voyage event - what do you have in mind?
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
"Morris Dovey" wrote:

If life of device is spent around water, then steel, other than galvanized, won't survive and brass is no good around salt water.
So it depends on how long is the install life before actually being asked to perform task on how you approach the problem.
Lew
On 3/13/2010 4:28 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

No problemo :o) We're sandbagging (again) in Iowa, but there's no danger (yet) from salt water.
I'm hoping it won't take more than an hour to set up and worry over, another hour for a two-mile round-trip, and then twenty minutes for teardown.
Here's the most probable test site (watch for wrap):
http://maps.google.com/maps?llA.820199,-93.74136&spn=0.024818,0.082397&z
I should be able to recycle most of the materials.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
On 3/13/2010 12:30 AM, Morris Dovey wrote:

Oops - I meant to point out (but forgot) that the tracking system's primary job will be to accommodate the inertia of the collector - to keep it in the same orientation while the boat moves under it. This should provide minimal loading on the motors.
Tracking the apparent movement of the sun will, I think, be smallest part of the job.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

How about air-loading some cylinders connected to the collector system's (weighted) base to allow semi-free pivoting? It would counteract the rocking motion of the boat to a great extent so feedback from the position sensors would be diminished, lessening the collector's "need to adjust" sensing. Are you using some sort of time delay, too?
-- Perhaps the most valuable result of all education is the ability to make yourself do the thing you have to do, when it ought to be done, whether you like it or not; it is the first lesson that ought to be learned; and however early a man's training begins, it is probably the last lesson that he learns thoroughly. -- Thomas H. Huxley
On 3/13/2010 11:06 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

I like the idea, but am /really/ trying to avoid "scope creep" here. :)
There's another aspect - I plan on posting photos and videos of whatever I end up with, and I don't want any of that to be easily adapted for pickup truck mountable fire control or weapons platforms. :(

Duane Johnson's (redrok.com) little LED-based controller incorporates an adjustable delay feature that I suspect will end up being tweaked immediately before and during the voyage.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

No doubt _that_ has already been done six ways from Sunday. Don't sweat it. People doing that would have lots of money to buy sophisticated compensation units.

Yeah, prolly so.
-- I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. My sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history, naval architecture, navigation, commerce, and agriculture, in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry, and porcelain. -- John Adams
On 3/13/2010 11:28 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

No doubt - but not by everyone who might like to have, and I'm not inclined to provide a "how-to" for doing it on the cheap.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
On 3/14/2010 9:04 AM, Morris Dovey wrote:

I'd prefer not to sweat it, but do. By way of explanation let me share a short thread I saved (OP had a middle-eastern name and was posting via Google Groups from the UK):
comp.lang.c - 2006 July 20-21 Subject: Center of Contour
<start of thread>
Speed:
Could you please tell me what is the most efficient way of finding the center of mass of the area enclosed by a closed contour.
I have a considerable circular region with streaks coming out of it in either direction. Basically i want to find the center of the circular region but it is getting offset due to the presence of connected outlier segments.
I am working with binary images only.
Morris:
It's not really a difficult problem; but the answer would depend on what you mean by "efficiency". Are you looking for the smallest code footprint - or are you looking for fastest execution time?
Speed:
I am working with a 120x160 binary edge image and by efficient I mean - mostlly speed of execution.
Morris:
I thought it might be an interesting exercise. Including some #defines to parameterize the problem, the solution took fewer than 2 dozen statements. It was compact _and_ fast.
Pleased with myself, I leaned back and thought about possible/probable uses for the code... ...and then deleted the files.
Sometimes life just sucks.