Your help gentlemen please

Hello all
I have just removed bricks that were blocking up the original fireplace it must have been bricked up over 75 years ago I expected it to be full of soot and it was along with some sort of other dust and bits of stone even bits of wood there was so much crap in there I started to worry so I thought I would get the chimney swept but I first went outside to see what the stack was like...and there isn't one ( gable end ) I went into the loft to see what might be there but I can't get to that area.
1) Could it be possible that the stack *has been removed and the rubble from it dropped down inside.
2) If that has happened how do I have a new gas fire installed if the chimney is/might be blocked.
3) Is there a way to install a gas fire without removing all the rubble.
4) What are my alternatives.
I have cleared all the rubble that I found at first and felt up to see if there is anymore (yeah daft I know) and it feels clear an I have no intention of getting a torch and having a look.
All the refurb is going to done by a builder as there is such a lot to be done and I am not physically equipped to do anything that involves standing on my feet.
I know it must have been done 75yrs ago as it as been shop for over 100 yrs ago we have been here for 33 yrs the prev owner 10 yrs ago and the next door neighbors have lived there since before that and don't recall having seen a fireplace in that room ever and she is 85yrs old.
I will appreciate any help.
Thank's

A 'normal' open fire had the gap behind the firebox filled with any old non combustible rubble, so they probably just left it there after removing the fireplace and bricking it up.
--
*Why isn't there mouse-flavoured cat food?

Exactly. The usual reason given is that buyers would be put off, but I'm sure lots would buy, if not everyone.
Time for a new range of cat food with the following flavours: * mouse * assorted eyeballs * mixed unrecognisable bits * spiders * mixed bugs
I deleted the last one :) Trust me, youre grateful :)
Regards, NT

I think you can get balanced-flue fires, but i`m sure the resident gas fitters will be along shortly with some expert advice :-)
On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 13:15:47 +0000, zulu74 wrote:

It is all a matter of cost. It may well be that the cost of getting the existing chimney up to a usuable, safe enough, standard is large. It may be better to fit a different type of gas fire - probably balanaced flue type.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Yes ... install a room sealed balanced flue gas fire, or if you want more choice a fan flued flame effect gas fire.
Loads of choices. .... the latter can be ducted over small diameter pipes.
Rick

Try saying that 10 times fast when drunk :-}
On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 13:15:47 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@despammed.com wrote:

Yes
Put the fule up through the roof, or out through the wall in the back of the fireplace

I would get it out anyway, cause its mess, even if I can't see the mess, I know its there

Brick it back up again.