Large piece of slate for Hearth

That's what I want...must be about 145 cms X 50 cms

The largest stock items that stone/slate distributors seem to have is

130 X yy - the "yy" (> 45 cms) dimension is easy to get - just can't seem to get anything wider than say 150 cms.

Anyone know of anywhwere in Surrey/Kent/Sussex/London ?

I've tried Silverland Stone but not wide enough....

Ta

-- Phil

Reply to
Phil

Mine came from the Billiard table we used to have - you get several good wide slabs from one of those...

However - the side panel of my bath is also slate and the bathroom is due for a thorough overhaul in the new year - the panel is 54 cm and is - well - bath - length! (only a short ruler to immediate hand!)

e-mail me.

Barley Twist (Please put out the cats to reply direct)

Reply to
The Electric Monk

Try Stonell in Paddock Wood. They may be able to source something for you

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Might have to try a quarry for something that size, but I doubt you'll find one in the area you mentioned. It's probably a question of mining a large enough piece from which to cut what you want, and having the ability to handle the size/weight of the piece before cutting it down.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I got mine from a monumental mason. Im in East Yorks is that near Surrey ??

Andy

Reply to
Andy Farrall

Standard pub type pool tables will have a single piece slate that would be about 6' by 3'. Might be worth trying a local supplier to see if they've got any damaged ones left over, I've got one but it's broke roughly in half and is destined to be used as a waterfall when I get round to building my pond.

Reply to
James Hart

Yes, if you're American.

Rob Graham

Reply to
robgraham

Reminds me of a conversation with an American some years back...

"We live in the Thames Valley".

"Gee, I know the owner of the hardware store in the Thames Valley".

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

There are some qauuries arround that will make any size you want, there is one on the horseshoe pass in north wales, and one on honister pass in the lakes. Both have websites. There are also the stalte quarries in snowdonia, but I don't know id these do these things.

I once saw an old outbuilding made entirley of slate sheets, so it must be possible to get really big sheets.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

on the horseshoe pass in north wales, and one on honister pass in the lakes. Both

know id these do these things.

FYI, I ordered a slate hearth from the one near Llechwedd (cant' remember the name, but started with G I think) about 20 years ago. Six feet by 3 feet, with a hearth cut out, two inches thick - I had to hire a van to collect it, but it only cost 50 quid, and the guy rounded off the corners and oiled it for me! Made a fantastic raised hearth.

SarahEmm (recent lurker, but prefers to have other people do the work nowadays :)

Reply to
SarahEmm