Wood Burners & Flues

Assuming there is enough smoke to trigger them which IMHO is not very likely.

Trouble is CO is a rather insidious toxin, nice and comfy and warm in your chair, relatively low level CO helps you nod off and you stay nodded off...

The CO alarm we have has several warning states, flashing LED, flashing LED and a short beep, LED and more beeps and finally full alarm. The level and duration of the CO determine what it does. It goes into the first of those at CO levels over 43 ppm. 35 ppm is the maximum continuous 8 hr exposure level.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Has it ever gone off? And why?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Don't feel the need. The number of people killed by CO from solid fuel appliances must be tiny. (I can see that improved draft proofing might increase the risk.)

Not a problem. Ours must have been installed before that came in. (I trust the installer, and he would have told us if it was required.)

Reply to
Martin Bonner

Tim Watts wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@squidward.local.dionic.net:

You can chuck it out afterwards though (?)

Harry

Reply to
Harry Davis

On Wednesday 30 October 2013 18:10 Martin Bonner wrote in uk.d-i-y:

It is a fairly new change in the rules - can't name the date, but it's a matter of a very few years at most.

Reply to
Tim Watts

In article , Tim Watts writes

I've just had a woodburner installed, and the installers left a CO2 monitor/alarm.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

CO*2* ????

Reply to
Huge

In article , Huge writes

Um. I did mean CO, honest. :-)

Just done an intensive gas cylinder safety training course which included a lot of material on CO2. My finger automatically added the

2...

ta for spotting that.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Interesting that you have so little concern for your family's well being.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

You do so much fretting that others need not ;-)

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

:-)

Reply to
Martin Bonner

Could you build replica woodburner of chipboard painted with blackboard paint and place it over the existing "rags, fan and orange bulb" device?

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

by the time you wake up you are paralysed by the CO so you can be awwake dying from the CO poisoning :-(

RobertL

Much more than likely only in yours & Peter's fretful imaginations...

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

a friend of mine found a friend of hers dead in a tent from taking a charcoal burner in for the night.

[g]
Reply to
george - dicegeorge

no ventilation and no flue then...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Quite a popular method of suicide these days I believe. One to keep in mind for one's dotage. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

taking a

And accidental wiping out of families. Last year I can remember least two cases of "used disposable BBQ" left in entrance of tent killing the occupants and another on a boat. Sometimes one member of the family survives...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You really are in cloud cuckoo land. CO is invisible and odourless. Smoke is only present when the burning volitiles are being driven out of the wood. Afterwards the combustion gases are invisible and undetectble by a smoke alarm. Lots of people die through CO poisoning. It is more likely to kill you than a fire. Even if you are wide awake. It only takes some minor defect/blockage in the stove or chimney.

harryagain

You have it for the same reason you have a fire alarm. Has your fire alarm ever detedcted a house fire?

It's not likely to go off but if it does you have aproblem.

Reply to
harryagain