Wood Burners & Flues

And that CO alarm *MUST* have battery backup as well. irrespective of it bing mains powered or not.

REason being people put wood burners on to keep warm in a power cut as electricity is still needed for boiler controls, circulatory pumps for gas central heating systems.

I also have a smoke detector as well in case embers fall out of the wood burner.

Reply to
Stephen

Literally only the terminally stupid believe that they don't need a CO alarm if they have a wood-burner in their home.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Peter "panic!" Crosland quivered:-

Well with that sort of statement I'm sure you would take great pride if not piety in substantiating it?

Factual figures with references, odds/risk etc You know- the sort of informed FACTUAL type of analysis that always undermines your ignorant "just blindly unquestioningly keep following others rules" approach to "life".

We await with interest.....

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

This

has lots of figures.

Picking two gives the death rate per 100million population per year as

57 for gas fired appliances and 33 for non gas fired (1989-1998). IOW it's more important to have a CO detector if you have a gas fire!

It also surmises that CO emission from solid fuel appliances is due to lack of maintenance or improper operation.

I'd guess that most of the deaths are from LPG room heaters used with inadequate ventilation and idiots who bring barbecues indoors, neither of which are relevant to properly functioning wood stoves.

Reply to
Bill Taylor

You can't go bringing real *evidence* into a Usenet discussion. That's a gross violation of Netiquette.

More seriously, the death rate for non-gas is 33 per 100M per year, or

33 per million per century. If we assume that only one in ten people have non-gas heating, that's 33 deaths per hundred thousand people- with-solid-fuel per lifetime. Which is a nice round 1 in 300 chance that's what's going to kill me eventually.

Given that most CO deaths seem to be associated with poor maintenance, and I have my chimneys regularly swept, my risk is even lower.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

In article , Martin Bonner writes

Can a chimney with a flue liner be swept?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Yes

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Yes.

Reply to
Clive George

On Friday 01 November 2013 14:20 Mike Tomlinson wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Yes.

I do so once a year.

It does shift some ash and crap.

Reply to
Tim Watts

On the subject of woodburning stoves, my mother-in-law has a cottage which needs a new one. The cottage is empty for several months over winter, so tends to get a bit damp, and the current stove has rusted badly (over 15 years or so), as did the previous one (over a bit longer).

I quite like the idea of a masonry stove, but they seem to be wood burning only. (e.g.

apart from being much more expensive wouldn't fit.)

Any recommendations?

Would something like

be any more durable than cast iron?

(Installation is going to be another problem. Probably have to get it delivered to the farm over the hill and get the farmer to bring it across with his tractor, like last time, though the forestry track has been remade since then (but it doesn't go right to the cottage).)

Reply to
Alan Braggins

The problem with woodbrners is that some tar formations can't be swept out, they have to be scraped. Usually the last foot of so, ie working on the roof

Reply to
harryagain

True masonary stove ares a German thing and are assembled from a pile of fancy bricks. Viewed in Germany as we view Aga. Impressive but useless by todays standards.

Get a modern room sealed stove. Cast iron, lasts forever.

Reply to
harryagain

On Saturday 02 November 2013 08:43 harryagain wrote in uk.d-i-y:

The Chinese went one further:

(aka "brick bed"). My wife grew up sleeping on one (with the rest of the family) when she was a kid. In northern China near Mongolia, where it is frigging cold in winter.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I've met old Russian babushkas, who've described the same arrangement.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Saw one a couple of weeks ago at the Mary Rose exhibition in Portsmouth. They were all the reage in Tudor times, apparently.

Reply to
charles

And the Romans had their hypocausts. But I'm after something that will fit on an existing hearth and connect to an existing chimney.

Reply to
Alan Braggins

What do you mean by "rusted badly"? Holes or significant thining of the metal? If it's just a bit of superfical surfce rust or minor pitting, wire brush and stove black... Then after the last firing before leaving for the winter give it a light squib/wipe over with GT85/WD40 or similar, inside and out. That'll stop it rusting, might be a bit smokey/smelly next firing BWTH...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Large holes in part 48 of

are the worst problem, but not the only one. (The doors don't shut properly, the door handle doesn't turn, the thermstat is broken, various internal bits are distorted. Adding up parts costs from that spares page, I'm fairly sure a new stove is going to be cheaper than a rebuild.)

Reply to
Alan Braggins

Is there anything over the chimney pot? Like a cowl or similar to keep rain out?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Not since the last replacement cowl blew off again.... :-( (But yes, that's an area that could be improved.)

Reply to
Alan Braggins