Wiring Problem - Two PIR sensors to control one Floodlight

I want to wire a floodlight so it can be switched on by either of two PIRs - how do I wire it please?

Thanks

David

Reply to
david

Well one assumes both operate the light via a relay solid state or otherwise, then surely the sensors need to be in parallel but jointly in series with the load. I obviously do not know how the sensors get their power, but those need to be powered from the unswitched supply. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

wire the sensors in parallel-i.e connected the 'switched lives' together and hope that doesn't cause one to pop.

If they have relays you will be 100% OK but less sure about solid state..

SHOULD BE OK...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have two systems that do this - one is to cover sensing in two directions outside the front door, and the other is in the garage lean- too shed so that the inside light comes on with the outside light and has it's own sensor.

I had to replace the front door main unit this week. There were 4 terminals in the chocolate block connector 'E'arth, 'N'eutral, 'L'ine and 'L1'. The E,N & L are the incoming supply, and should be the feed points for the remote PIR's supply connections via a 4 way cable. The output of the remote PIR is connected by a fourth line in the cable to 'LI', which is the connection in the master unit for the light - you'll find that this light is connected between L1 and N.

If you are a cheapskate, and an ignorer of possible regulations like me, you will realise that an earth to a remote PIR is not necessary and you can use a normal three core cable marking the yellow/green cable with some tape to show it is not earth, and is the 'L1' connection.

Now wait for the howls of disapproval !!

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

They will come.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Not from my plumber they won't, he used the bare copper in 1.5mm T&E as a switched live, and he didn't sleeve or mark it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Bill

Plumbers call twin and earth "3 core cable". They don't know any better:-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Ah ha, that accounts for it then :-) :-)

Reply to
Bill

John Rumm