Wire fitting for brushes on elec motor

Having sorted the issue with my chop saw bearings I decided to have a look at the back end of the elec motor and the wiring to the brushes are suspect. In this pic you can see the wire is pushed down the housing and acually emerges at the bottom touching the armature (?)

Pic 5 shows the spring holding the brush in place.

Pic 6 shows the wire squeezed down the side.

The wire on the other brush was just sitting on top and came loose.

It could be that when the bearings broke up the vibration dislodged the loose one.

Anyhow anyone know how I should connect them back to the brushes?

Reply to
ss

Who's done that then?

The answer to your question is don't. Obtain a new pair of brushes.

Reply to
Graham.

Those brushes look to need replacing.

There are various gizmos these days to disconnect brushes once a certain wear level is reached. It is to prevent undue sparking at the commutator as the spring tension reduces with wear on the brushes.

Reply to
harry

Almost looks like that brush was inserted upside down. I would stick a new set in and be done with it.

Reply to
John Rumm

You could be right but I will wait until I get the bearing to see it still works ok. I think the wiring was badly done at the factory as the wire to one of the brushes is just shoved down the side of the brush and emerges at the bottom and touches the revolving part of the motor, that doesnt appear to be correct (to me) and I know the saw has never been dismantled before.

Reply to
ss

Don't think so. You can see the hole in the top of the brush in the second photo where the wire ought to be. It's been bodged badly by someone somewhere. As you say though, needs replacing whatever.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Unless the wire is wrapped right round the brush, then it is most definitely upside down. The wire should be connected to the TOP.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

The pigtails probably originally extended so far into the brushes. Now that the brushes have worn down the "wires" are showing, a bit like rivetted-on brake pads as they wear away.

Time for new brushes!

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I'd say definitely. Quality control, eh? In the possible event of no replacements being available, I'd re-insert that one the right way up and it'd be good for a while yet.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

"Almost looks like that brush was inserted upside down. I would stick a new set in and be done with it."

The brush is not upside down, both brushes have like a small hole on top where the wire should be connected. The one that appears to be upside down has had the wire rammed down the side to make a connection. I believe these chop saws are made in China for B&Q so done cheap and anything goes. There is plenty of wear left on the brushes but will replace if the saw works ok after I replace the bearing as I dont like the wire connection.

Reply to
ss

Ah; a factory bodge to get it out the door. Must be ok, then.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon