Windows: wood or plastic?

Do window companies still do white ali in hardwood surrounds or am I totally out of date? These always seemed a much better choice than uPVC, thinner frames, more substantial, better quality, longer lasting etc. Don't know much about it all though, just had them in our old place, installed by previous owners. Could be shit for all I know ;o)

Reply to
Mary Hinge

I think its swings and roundabouts.

Any good quality windows in good condition, plastic or wood or aluminium, will look better than tired old windows. Modern windows of any kind all do a good job at insulating and keeping out draughts.

If you're worried about the difference in resale value I would say it would be minimal. Two identical houses, both with good-condition windows, one wood, the other UPVC, will probably go for the same price.

Some buyers will think UPVC to be more valuable than wood as it is maintenance free. Other buyers will think wood to be more valuable than UPVC as it looks more natural.

My own choice if buying a property would be to go for the one with UPVC.

A good compromise, and my preferred choice, would be white coated aluminium, with hardwood surrounds. Everest used to fit windows like these, and they are the dog's boll*x. I'm not sure if they still do them.....

hudsterou

This is absolutely dependent on area. Where I used to live*, good condition uPVC windows would have been a plus. Where I now live**, having plastic windows drops the price by 10K. Only about five houses in my street (of I guess around 60 houses) has plastic on the front (including mine unfortunately). Hopefully, this will be remedied soon. I've got a few other projects on the go, first, though!

Christian.

  • - Lower Earley, a large private housing estate built in the prevailing modern style (built 1982-present day)
** - Belleview estate, an area on the Earley/Reading University borders consisting of predominantly semi-detached Edwardian period houses (built 1905-1920).
Reply to
Christian McArdle

Well I am anyway ;-)

I'm not sure the house or I will be here Christian ;-)

Was you house under a peir or summat Christian? I've just had a lok round all the 15 yr old uPVC and apart from a few dark surface spots of summat on the North facing frames the reast is very clear (considering how rarely it's touched / cleaned etc).

"Trick or treaters" or "demanding reward by menace" or straight vandalism? Boiling oil is too good for them ;-)

But think of all that painting you avoided! (my pet hate, painting)

Horses for courses I suppose. I wanted a small frontal extension on this house, sort of a full width porch. The council said I could do it as long as I kept the sash window style. This was no use to me as two sash windows in the bedroom broke up the wall too much for putting things inside and went too near the sides for wardrobes etc so we didn't bother.

The 'reason' the plans were rejected was that it would "ruin the street scene"? That was with one of the other 8 houses in the terrace painted white, another rendered and another had all the pointing painted white and bricks red? A railway crossing was 50 yds away and a large 'cell block' type council estate round the corner. That with being hemmed in over the 26 years I've lived here with motorways and other major roadworks (none of which I had requested or passed) I thought it was all a bit of a cheek. To add insult etc I could site about 20 such 'extensions' within a 1/4 mile radius in similar aged properties ... not enough grease in a palm maybe .. ?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Vague memories of housing estate around Earley where you cannot park a caravan on your drive, because of an old law that some lord of the manor got passed, meant to bar gypsies from his land..... the estate where the Rolling Stones bungalow is?

Reply to
Tony Williams

We had a Monarch "Monaframe" powder-coated aluminium french doors put into the dining room a couple of years ago.

This was before part L building regs came into effect so I don't know whether they're compliant and therefore still sold.

however, they are really really good - a class above all the uPVC that's installed in the place (from previous owners, including nasty replacements for the sashes that would have been at the front. ). Close and open with a lovely solid feel, and look good as well. I don't think that they will suffer any of the staining problems that affect uPVC frames.

Not cheap, though.

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

Come to think of it, I do remember something in the deeds about not having a caravan except during rebuilding works. I haven't seen those deeds in years, so it might have been less restrictive, like being allowed to own and park it, but not live in it, but I'm not sure. The number of convenants in the thing was quite astounding, really.

Never heard of it.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

No, my plastic windows are excellent and that's after 20 years in north/south/westerly directions. I'd sooner spend my time doing something worthwhile than repairing/repainting rotten wooden windows. By the way, Sadolin etc, satin finishes IME are total crap after a few years. They can be extremely difficult to remove after they have blistered. It's generally easier to throw the wooden product away and start again! If you want wood, either use a good marine varnish, enamel paint or a plain spirit stain.

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

The windows are still available (we have just had some put in) but they tend not to be in wooden frames. They are (clearly) compliant with the new standards and are, as you say, nuch better (IMHO as well) as the size of the frame parts matches the ones they replaced much better, being thinner than the nasty uPVC versions! There's a premium on them though as less are made.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

I prefer acrylics. They last five years, are easy to rub down and recoat, don't stink and don't stay wet for a week.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

In message , Christian McArdle writes

Well, I'm not planning on being around for 100 years to find out! That'll be for the then owner to sort out, assuming the house is still here (built in 1980s). When (if?) I can afford to do my windows*, I'll have to go with whatever is cheapest, as I am on a very limited income.

  • Have to get the central heating sorted first. Rip out all the old 'forced air' heat ducting, boiler, etc. and put proper central heating in. Should be able to do this sometime this year after much penny pinching. I'll save a packet on the gas bill once it is done.
Reply to
Andrea Fuller