Windows 10 updating

Twice in the last 24 hours my computer has rebooted and spent a long time updating Windows 10. Why 2 large updates in such a short period?

Reply to
Broadback

Because Microsoft sucks?

Reply to
Huge

If you tell it you have a metered connection you can avoid having (almost) all updates. Then when it's convenient, change that setting and you get them. Since Microsoft make so may c*ck-ups, it's good to be a month or two behind on updates.

Reply to
Clive Page

unfortunately, when you do this you are still going to get the most recent one "untested"

how can you avoid this

tim

Reply to
tim...

En el artículo , tim... escribió:

Don't use Windows 10. Simples.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Win 7 has been the same.

I'd guess security. As a hacker or whatever finds an easy route in, they issue an update to close it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Just the same has been happening with Win7.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

no it's not

with Win 7 you can accept each new update manually (it's awkward to do, but not impossible)

With Win 10 you either set your PC in a mode that no downloads are installed,

or get all the "new" ones all at once

tim

Reply to
tim...

Win10's method is coming to Win7 ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

En el artículo , tim... escribió:

That's the way it works for Win7 now. All or nothing. Is the view nice from that stone you've been living under?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

That is only true for the home editions. They are the ones that need automatic updates. People that understand computers probably use the pro version (so they can encrypt, etc.) and can chose what happens.

Reply to
dennis

pro and home editions update in the same way, you may be thinking of enterprise edition ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

There is no difference between pro and enterprise apart from licensing AFAICS.

Reply to
dennis

Adrian Caspersz

You can set Win7 not to download any upgrades too.

As will Win7 if you turn it on again.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you look carefully at windows 10 settings you will see that you can set so called quiet times for updates. What I've noticed is that its kind of intelligent in that if its a small update that does not require a restart, then it silently does this, but leaves the larger ones until the quiet times. I'm guess ing one of the updates you got was the anniversary update. After a while Windows needs you to be running this complete new version of windows as after this, starting this month of October its delivering updates as what they call roll ups via a kind of system that allows one machine to help out updating another much like the way torrents work. Then the file sits and waits and is all installed as one big chunk at the quiet time or when you tell it to look and do any updates. I believe myself though that there is a limit to this don't do it now system as several times the machine has given me prompts to restart and has taken an age to do so.

The other annoyance is that when a major update comes long like the anniversary one, you get new so called features usually meaning adware and prompts to buy something new Microsoft wants to sell you, like a rental of Office or some other service, not only that but you also find that some of your 'adjusted' software such as Outlook Express that has been adapted to run on 10 are dumped into a removed folder conveniently without telling you so you lose all the emails you had stored. Until Microsoft stop being so petty and precious about older software I still distrust their motives. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Another sillyness is that if you have installed, lets say Office 2002 and the 2007 compatibility pack and its format conversion kit, you will get failed update reports for some of the security updates that software had and have been removed by Microsoft. its as if Microsoft still leave up the links to the updates but moved the data.As yet apart form finding the updates from various sources and installing them manually you will it seems keep getting nice reports on failed updates. You can hide some of them, but it seems the office ones keep on being retried no matter what.

I was actually surprised that this old version of Office works, and to be honest its really all one needs with the conversion routines. Another mod I did was the return of classic menus in explorer and classic shell as well. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

In message , Mike Tomlinson writes

Last night I set this W7 machine up to perform some extended processing while I slept. This morning it had restarted, and there were a whole bunch of new updates installed. I suspect the large number was because the Windows update service has just been sitting there when I have manually checked for updates. It had been set to download but don't install. It was now set to automatic downloads. I have now reset it to download but don't install. It appears that this works as it always did ie providing a list of updates with the ability to select or deselect installation.

I have only lost what was done last night, but it is way beyond just annoying.

Have there been any recent changes to the way W7 updates operate, and are the changes documented anywhere?

Reply to
Bill

Yes, they're now based on "roll-ups" where you get all updates at once, same as Win10, see the microsoft blog entry I posted up there ^^^

Reply to
Andy Burns

ndows-7-and-windows-8-1-servicing-changes/> > Hmmm, yes I did see that and assumed that, in my case, if I left updates set as previously, they would just download and not install until requested.

Indeed, the (post restart?) optional updates that are listed seem to be still sitting there waiting for their boxes to be ticked. Additionally, the preview of the October monthly rollup seems to provide some relevant "more info" unlike the Wndows 10 updates, which seem to be offered blind.

What really does worry me is if W10's forced updating of drivers comes to W7.

Reply to
Bill