Windows 10 updating

No

you can get it to display a box where you can select which downloads you want and which you don't

or did last time I tried

tim

Reply to
tim...

Which can't be more than 12 hours (or was it 8?).

what about people who don't want to be disturbed for the whole of the waking day. Not everybody uses their computer for only the "working" day

what a nonsense

tim

Reply to
tim...

I leave mine running for weeks, sometimes months, and I only just noticed that 'restart when it's quiet' setting when I was trying to work out why I hadn't received the anniversary update. In fact, I had received it, but I'm guessing that it was choosing not to restart and upgrade because I leave some applications running. Either that, or my task scheduler is broken :-)

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

THank Clapton for Linux. There's a little thingy in the task bar that comes up with an exclamation mark. It means there are updates. Even if I click on it and say 'yes, It's my machine, and here's a password to prove it' it wont affect anything else, and it certainly wont *insist* on a reboot to install the changes.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Mine has a 'Never check for updates (not recommended)' option. And 'Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them' And some more options. Basically covers pretty well all the needed options.

Which option doesn't it give you'd like?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'd have to say 'Thank Akkerman' :-)

I may go with Linux soon. I used to be an MVP (before I had children, and had more spare time), so MS sent me free product install disks all the time. But if/when I have to start paying for MS stuff, I'll probably jump track and learn something new.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

I am sure you already know how to use a mouse to click on something.

My experience ws always windows for GUIS and Linux/unix on non graphical kit.

Moving to graphical linux was trivial.

If you can drive XP. you can drive linux Mint.

The more challenging thing is the newer applications that are not windows apps, so have their won styles.

But Thunderbird and firefox and Libre Office all behave like they do on wind0ows.

As does VLC for media.

Unless you want to play with it under the hood, you really dont need to know it IS linux.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I did try to install Mint on a old machine (in the possibly mistaken belief that you can run Linux on any old kit). But there must have been a problem with the graphics drivers. The GUI updates were so slow that it was entirely unusable. Since I was just trying it out of curiosity, I gave up. I need more time, TBH.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

Yes. Probably some arcane hardware that never got proper Linux support.

So no hardware acceleration running on default drivers.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Looks like TNP is a Viv Stanshall fan (a misquote from the "Sir Henry At Rawlinson End" album). :-)

Reply to
Johnny B Good

Oh dear.

Did you really think that that was the origin?

I guess you weren't hanging out in Londo9n in the late 60s.

'Clapton is God' vied for 'Empire Loyalists say "Stop coloured immigration"' as the graffiti of choice.

Stanshall's reference is meaningless to anyone who wasn't there at that time.

The Natural Philosopher

An oldish Radeon AGP card, ISTR.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

yeah. Never the best support in Linux.

is a reasonable summary of the position.

If I am not using 'intel onboard' graphics I tend to buy Nvidia instead

These 'just work' with nvidia drivers.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Or not (from what you say later). ;-)

Same here when I was a MCT (not that I used much of it as I was also a CNI and had a Netware 3.12 Server at home with Thin Ethernet, 4M Token Ring and ArcNet ).

Who does that (versus getting Windows 'free' with your new PC or cheap with new PC hardware)?

No reason why you couldn't be finding out IF it could be a viable option for you alongside running Windows (or OSX etc), and it could well / easily be, if your needs happen to fit what is often a very limited subset of what you (if an ordinary user) can do with / on Windows.

What I mean by that is *if* all your hardware works under Linux (remembering much of it will only have been *officially* supported by the manufacturers under Windows and possibly also OSX) and you can get all the programs, or equivalent programs as you *need* under Linux.

Like ... I use Forte Agent and there is a 'Linux Clone' called Pan that is a pretty good clone, but it's not the same. Whilst I sometimes find it useable it's often *very* slow and for reasons I've yet to be able to work out. Agent has always been lightening fast on any (old) PC I've tried it on.

The likes of Thunderbird, Firefox or OO / Libre Office and they work equally well across all 3 desktop OS platforms ... whilst you have Gimp under Linux it's no Photoshop (I'm told).

And then you (or the Mrs / one of the kids) wants to rip some CD's and put them on their iPad or worse (for Linux), access the iTunes Music Store and only want to use iTunes you are back to Windows / OSX.

And then there are all the 'Windows only' games and car diagnostic apps (should you want to use either etc).

If however you are lucky in that you needs match the range of (good) apps available on Linux (and there are some very good ones) or you just use your PC as many Linux geeks do, and just as a web terminal, you could be very happy. ;-)

It's quite funny for the 3 or so people I've introduced to Linux and who are still using it as their primary desktop OS, how many have windows programs they have downloaded (because they wanted them) and tried to install and tell me that they 'didn't work'. No s*1t Sherlock. ;-)

And re your 'learning' thing ... after being a self taught Windows user-admin (and to a lesser degree, same with Apple OS / OSX) and

*not* coming from a Mainframe background ... just how 'different / difficult' dealing with Linux issues can be. And I have loads of (friendly / helpful / ordinary) people I could turn to to resolve Windows issues and similar (to a lesser degree, OSX) and even considering I'm the go-to guy for many re anything technical (especially PC related), I don't know of a single person ITRW I could turn to for *real* Linux help (as in 'fix it for me and make it work fully / properly and I'll buy you a beer').

Some (often without a wife, girlfriend, kids or 'life' as we would know it ) actually 'love' spending disproportionate amounts of time pouring over 'Man pages', text / help files (that often assume the reader is already fairly familiar with Linux and the CLI) and rising to what they see as the challenge of tweaking and programming and re-compiling stuff to make it do what most of us would only bother with if it just required us to click on 'Setup.exe'.

And that's what I'm talking about ... learning (when that isn't the goal, like how many people *want* to go though the process of learning to drive a car over just wanting to drive a car ...) how to do something in a completely different way and nearly not being able to use any skills built up from installing and maintaining Windows or even OSX (for most people) because so much real work done under the hood of Linux is done at an unintuitive terminal and not an 'easy to explore' GUI).

That said, I try to leave a Linux boot DVD everywhere I have to support a PC of some sort (and keep a couple in the car) as it is very handy to be able to boot an OS up from a DVD *and* (more often than not these days) be able to get on the Internet etc.

And most of the above (the getting stuff to work under Linux bit) is echoed by Linus himself:

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

If you had said 'I tried Mint 18 on an old PC running A Radeon AGP card and it ran really slowly' you would be berated for being stupid enough to even try to run Linux on that age of hardware. ;-(

I have found that 'most people' who (happen to in most cases) run Windows dgaf about any OS but those who have 'made the move' ... 'turned away from the darkside' or 'turned away from Windoze' (or some other childish term) are the fanatics. Just in the same way they say ex-smokers are the worst re anti-smoking?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

My first server at home and at work was Netware. Good times. I used thin ethernet at home, so that I wouldn't have to buy a hub. I set it up at home because it was the only way I could think of getting the experience to get my first computing job, and it worked!

Dunno - it's a long time since I had to pay for anything other than games for our little boy. I'm not sure how long Win10 is going to be free for.

I don't actually have many computing needs, but I'm a developer of products in the corporate MS-based world. So that dictates the sort of stuff I need to keep running.

We've spent loads of money on Steam, etc. games for the lad. I'd be very happy indeed if they were ever to run on Linux.

MS gave me the MVP award (very much to my surprise) because I was a part of that 'fluffy and helpful' MS world. I got to know loads of really nice people. But like I say, I don't have time now, and it's only given to you on a year-by-year basis.

I once needed some help setting up a firewall with ipfilter, and was surprised at the fairly angry RTFM! responses.

Actually, as a developer I think what I need to start learning now is Android.

I'll give the videos a watch when I get home.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

One of the things I often do around the time of major updates is run the Disk Clean-up tool to get rid some of the excess dross. Especially important on machines with relatively small SSD drives such as 103 GB.

What I had failed to understand was that the Disk Clean-up tool embeds magic. Nor had I appreciated quite how large Windows updates had become. :-)

polygonum

With OSX being free now along with Android I can't see Windows as a basic desktop OS solution ever going to be a paid for thing (well, not for a long time anyway by which time *everything* will be on a paid for basis).

Quite.

I thought it *was* running on Linux (even if the Steam Box never took off)?

I think they were just 'ordinary / everyday people'. It's those who specifically choose a different path who are (obviously) the 'different' ones. ;-)

Ok.

Ah, again, you asked a 'geeky' question so are bound to arouse the geeks with their 'geeky ways'. ;-(

If you want to earn some money, that or iOS, yes.

Again, they are nothing more than the man himself admitting what most non geeks come up against when they first come across Linux and then it's down to a range of things what you do next. Most I have offered Linux to (FOC and all set up and going) generally don't see the point ... of running something that often doesn't seem to do the same range of things Windows does and no one they know has ever seen it before and doesn't know how to fix it (/make it do stuff) either. If you are looking for a hobby, to *learn* a new OS or are looking for a specific or want to create your own solution then Linux could be a good solution.

I have rarely bought any MS products (outside of the OS's etc) and have definitely spent more money on Non MS solutions over the years. However I have tried on several occasions to use Linux (like on my home server, a PVR and CCTV solutions) and in every case I found the hurdles insurmountable and then, often after wasting lots of time and getting very frustrated with Linux, paying for a 'commercial' solution that 'just worked' (like WHS V1 and then 2011).

But then I've never been a programmer and I really believe you have to have that sort of skill / experience / mindset / patience to be comfortable under the hood of Linux (and a good typist to boot). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

No, it won't insist on a reboot. But quite a few won't be running until you do. This week's example being Dirty CoW.

And according to this

Linus found it 11 years ago, and failed to fix it...

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

En el artículo , Bill escribió:

Yes. Instead of being offered individual updates which you can research and choose not to install if you wish, it's now offered as a monolithic update with all the fixes rolled up into one package.

After the Win10 nagging, GWX fiasco and repeated attempts to install Win10-style spying and telemetry, I switched Windows Update off for Win7. Microsoft can no longer be trusted, if indeed they ever could.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson