Windows 10 updating

En el artículo , Vir Campestris escribió:

yum -y erase NetworkManager, reboot, and be happy.

It's a pain in the rectum that gets in the way of everything, like SELinux.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Yes. The ONLY thing that crashes my systems here is a serious network issue, especially since I run NFS.

It is possible to get situations the top level software simply doesn't understand.

Especially if the NFS is mounted with timeouts.

Add in a maybe buggy wifi or driver, and the potential for 'I cant make this out' *sulk* happens.

The worst offender is my wifi connected laptop. After a random number of hours, it starts disconnecting and reconnecting. Sometimes it then stays up, sometimes it locks up. Might be the router, the hardware or the driver. Its no big deal compared with windows, which used to crash on me every 5-10 minutes when running big memory intensive CAD programs. I'd save regularly.

My guess is that you have buggy hardware/driver combination, and it needs a 'chip reset' to get back to sanity.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Going to be a whole lot of good 9on a debian derived installation, that.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What else can you expect when using a stateless networking protocol. Each application has to take into account anything that can happen to the remote file system. How it takes into account an application that ignores the locks and writes stuff to a file regardless is anyone's guess.

Reply to
dennis

Well yes this is a problem. We had this at SLAC back in 1990 or so when unix was just coming in there. I probably didn't realise anyone was still using it.

According to what I see on the sqlite mailing list, they absolutely un-recommend using sqlite across any network file systems with threaded applications, because network file systems simply lie about the state of file locks or don't implement them properly.

Reply to
Tim Streater

No.

I have my PC set to download updates and then a symbol that looks like the explorer Icon appear next to the clock. When I click on it I get the Windows Update page which shows all the downloaded updates, which ones are optional and which are important, but I can still select the ones I want installed.

every so often a cumulative update appears, but you can ignore that if you wish.

Reply to
Andrew