Wi-Fi range extender.

One *phase*, not ring.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

As jethro said, you pair them by pressing buttons on each unit within a couple of minutes of each other.

I've avoided powerline networking kit so far, but visiting my parents over the weekend, Dad mentioned he'd like to watch youtube in his pottery - at the bottom of the garden, furthest from WiFi, several brick walls and the steel clad roof in the way.

I tried repositioning the AP and changing to a less congested channel, but could only get a marginal signal, no easy way to run ethernet down there, but he has power for the wheel/pugger/kiln.

Dismissed the powerline wifi extenders as too expensive for occasional use at £75-80 PCWorld/Maplin distress purchase prices.

But for £20 a pair of powerline adapters worth a try, with the option of taking them back if they don't work, 45 minute drive to PCworld, as we entered they were starting to close the roller-shutter doors.

The tortuous route for the signal is

ethernet from router powerline adapter

10 way surge filtered power strip triple adapter cube ring circuit ye olde Wylex fuseboard henley blocks 50+ yards of 16mm^2 SWA small consumer unit with RCD/MCBs radial circuit powerline adapter ethernet to laptop

I half expected it to not work, and the only thing worth trying would have been to remove the triple adapter and surge strip, but it worked a treat and now he can watch potters while he potters :-)

Reply to
Andy Burns

Lidl one returned for a refund, so thanks once again.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Hi. I bought the new Lidl Dual-Band wifi extender, model SWV 733 A1. I'm not a newbye, I do things like this everyday at work and for hobby, but I can't make it work. I need it as AP, but I can't find how to change its IP, default gateway and disable dhcp. So when I connect mobile to it I get a 192.168.10.x useless IP (my lan is 10.0.0.x) and I can't communicate with my lan and router.

I can just setup wifi configuration, but nothing more.

Reply to
alex.benedetti

Have you actually read the manual?

The Natural Philosopher

but I can't make it work.

and disable dhcp. So when I connect mobile to it I get a 192.168.10.x usel ess IP (my lan is 10.0.0.x) and I can't communicate with my lan and router.

Yes I did... My device is different, that one is just repeater, mine has AP and client m ode too. Anyway, the web interface is different, on mine I didn't find where I can s et-up network config. mine is this one:

alex.benedetti

Il giorno venerdì 7 ottobre 2016 10:40:39 UTC+2, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com ha scritto:

y, but I can't make it work.

ay and disable dhcp. So when I connect mobile to it I get a 192.168.10.x us eless IP (my lan is 10.0.0.x) and I can't communicate with my lan and route r.

set-up network config.

Interesting... my interface is like this, it just has Silvercrest logo etc etc. That's good, because I can't find anything else about SWV 733 beside that u seless video. Let's if I can find an answer.

Reply to
alex.benedetti

Lidl sell some quite sophisticated kit. Don't they have some tech support?

Reply to
GB

I didn't find any support website. Anyway in this video

almost near the end I see that they can change network config. on mine I obviously trid clicking there, but nothing happened. tonight I will try using a different browser, maybe MS Edge is the problem...

Reply to
alex.benedetti

Silver crest is probably a re badged TPlink.

Did I ever tell you about the three days I wasted trying to set up a firewall on a TPLINK router?

The screens were there to do it, the manual indicated how to do it, but all they did was render the unit completely inaccessible and needing a hard reset.

In the end I threw it away.

And I am not a noob when it comes to setting up firewalls..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

replying to alex.benedetti, raherrebrugh wrote: In order for the wifi extender to work like a AP without DHCP you need to do the following.

1) Set the unit to AP Mode (with the physical button) 2) Connect a network cable from your switch/router to the WAN port of the wifi extender 3) Connect to the assigned IP address (assigned by your own DHCP) from a physically connected computer (or if you like a challenge you can do it with just a mobile device and wifi) 4) Login with admin/admin (or whatever you changed it to) 5) On the wizard tab "AP(LAN Bridge)" should be selected if not reset the device with the reset button or go through the wizard 6) Configure your wifi settings on the wifi tab and click apply 7) Navigate to the device IP address /lan.shtml (in my case it was assigned 192.168.1.11 so I connect to https://192.168.1.11/lan.shtml). For the record: this screen should be available in settings tab but isn't when configured as AP, it is visible when configured as Router, someone screwed up I guess. 8) Disable DHCP and click apply

This worked for me, hopefully it works for you as well.

Reply to
raherrebrugh

does this mean that your next door neighbor can connect without you knowing in the time window?

Reply to
FMurtz

You are correct to say that the "repeater" mode which just re-transmits the main SSID does halve the bandwdth of the wireless signal, it doesn't stop multiple devices working concurrently - they will just have to share a lowe r performance wireless connection.

My advice is if you have a network cable just put your new wireless device into access point mode only, give it a differnet SSID and let your wireless device connect to which ever AP has the strongest signal. Auto channel sel ection should be OK but if you are able to determine which channels other n eighbourhood APs are using you can manually select an unused channel. Just try and avoid using the bottom or top channel numbers as you get slightly l ess performance.

Reply to
Kevin H

In message , raherrebrugh writes

What didn't work for me was the Home Owner's Hub's theft of the newsgroup's posting. It played havoc with the usenet threading here, and I had to twice request missing articles from Eternal September to get the full contents of the 4-year old thread. It is impressive that it was all still there on E-S.

Reply to
Bill

Don't need to use a different SSID unless you want to know which one you are connected to and/or which band, if you code that into the SSID.

And preferably only use 1, 6 or 11 as those are the only ones that don't overlap each other.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice