Comcast offers free Wi-Fi service to all in Sandy's path

I thought this would interest some of my Northern cousins who've had a hard time due to the bad storm up there. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Don't you need electricity for Wi-Fi?

Reply to
harry

Of course you do. But just because you don't have electricity at home does not mean you can't go to a place that does with your laptop or smart phone.

The article states that not all wi-fi will be operating due to localized power outages.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

No Harry, we Yanks are so backward compared to you folks that our wireless equipment is hand crank or steam powered. One day we will obtain the technology from you advanced Europeans to build a primitive electrical grid and enter the world of magical futuristic machines that make life so much easier. We're so far behind you in regards to science and technology that I may not see it in my lifetime. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Some of dose new fangled thingamabobs have something in them that holds a charge so dat the thingy works. I think dey call it a 'bat tree' or sumpin like dat.

Reply to
willshak

There was a good bit on the news this morning. One of those 'jaded, hardnosed, selfish' New Yorkers who had power in Manhattan set up a couple picnic tables on the postage stamp lawn- ran some extension cords out- and put up a sign 'free phone charging and wi-fi' [or words to that effect.] There were a dozen or so folks hanging out there- and twice that many devices plugged into the spider web of cords and splitters getting charged up.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Years ago, an ad mentioned "needs no electricity, runs on batteries". I guess it eats, digests, and poops batteries, then?

.

Some of dose new fangled thingamabobs have something in them that holds a charge so dat the thingy works. I think dey call it a 'bat tree' or sumpin like dat.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Free? Not charging five bucks an hour for electric time?

I've seen people plug in phones, at McDonalds and such.

.

Jim

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

}Don't you need electricity for Wi-Fi?

If the issue is for the ISP side most cable systems have back up (think gen and battery).

As for the user side. I can charge from my car, charge from a solar battery, charge from a hand gen (lots of work), charge from a (small) wind generator, charge from a thermal couple (not very efferent but doable) and charge from alkaline battery.

Some of locations ( coffee shops and resturnats) have gen sets and don't mind if you change/use your laptop and or phone regardless if you buy or not.

Reply to
NotMe