Whoops, I hit a pipe

Don't people ever check, with some sort of metal detector _before_ they start drilling or nailing into walls, what might lie behind?

If not, they deserve all they get.

Idiot.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Can you suggest 'some sort of metal detector' that is 100% reliable?

I'd love one.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

So would I! Putting up cabinets in a mate's house in southern France: first

2, found the studs OK; had to use other fasteners for the other 2 screws on each. Moved to the gite. First cabinet, no problem; second, damned if I could get a sensible reading - it seemed to spread over several cms. and turning down the sensitivity dropped it out. Cut a hole and found that all of a suuden the studs had magically changed from wood to Z-shaped steel! Now, the steel should have been easier to find but it just wouldn't give a defined width. I'd also like one to find ties in a cavity wall.
Reply to
PeterC

Frank Erskine ( snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com) wibbled on Thursday 03 March

2011 01:41:

Doesn't really work if the plaster contains mesh (eg around a bit of buried wood) or on plasterboard - PB seems to throw my detector and that's even before we get onto foil lined PB in which case you're doomed...

Reply to
Tim Watts

I was expecting the photos to match the story, and the second to be of him falling off the ladder and the third of his missus stepping on his glasses. Three photos of poxy pipe... bah!

Reply to
Jules Richardson

In article , Skipweasel writes

I was just gonna say that.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In article , Skipweasel writes

You should try the charity shops in Church Stretton. Wealthy area, a better class of crap.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Sorry:-)

I do believe he would have been better of going to hospital. After I had got him in inside and sat him down she started "I told you not to go up the ladders, didn't I? I told you what would happen etc etc".

At least in A&E he could have had some peace and quite with a cup of tea.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I've drilled into pipes twice in the last 5 years, both in new builds, both when drilling dot n' dab walls, both microbore plastic.

First one was putting up a curtain pole, last place I expected to find a pipe - used a detector - nothing showed, no metallic tape over pipes like there is supposed to be.

Second one was above a sink in a downstairs wc, right on the centre line. There was metallic tape this time, but under the pipes, too far down for the detector to spot it.

Its a fact of life - if you drill enough holes you will hit something one day. Yesterday for example I drilled about 30 holes putting up shelves & curtain poles.

Are there any rules for pipes like there are for cables?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Geting to the bins before your 3am raid then?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Well it was an expensive drill that I used, is that what you meant:-)?

Shit happens. In this case it was only my pride was hurt. I did made good the damage.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Did they just sort it out and say that is was a normal thing?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Yebbut - they want paying. Skips are free.

Reply to
Skipweasel

All the strip lights in my workshop came from a skip.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

Totally, no agenda here but couldn't let it go without some kind of slagging off, you wouldn't expect any less at the trade counter after all.

See my recent post on uk.comp.homebuilt for my latest doh! moment, no water on the floor but much time wasted for not spotting that a comp reset button had stuck on a PC that I was trying to fix.

Reply to
fred