Whoops, I hit a pipe

First job this morning. Buried in the plaster . And it was 1/2" not 15mm so I had to bugger about getting the right fittings to fix it.

customer was not happy but he was even less happy when he fell off the ladders an hour later. At least that was nothing to do with me. Nor was it anything to do with me when his wife went running to help him and stood on his glasses breaking them.

All in all quite an interesting day:-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Good job I found that guv' Stuff that old is likely to fail at any minute. I can do you a complete system replacement for

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

From the photos - that's a lovely thick bit of copper.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Fixed a row of cable clips in a line over a 5ft length one time. It was only when the last clip was driven in that I noticed a small drop of moisture which on touching it turned out to be warm. Had managed to hit the pipe with every clip but only the last one started leaking.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

It is a lovely thick bit of copper, but mmy SDS drill did not mind:-( Have you got eagle eyes or did you put a tape measure up to the monitor to check the wall thickness?

I have now taken another shot of the damaged pipe. This time from the other end where I used a pipe slice and placed it next to some (my est) 30 year old 15mm copper pipe that I removed from a friends house a few weeks ago.

ARWadsworth

Not for nothing is my nickname Skipweasel.

Actually - it's a bit of a misnomer these days. Where we live now doesn't have interesting skips. Hounslow had magnificent skips with mountains of fascinating (and readily saleable) stuff in 'em. Telford - well you should see the rubbish people put in them - hardly worth even looking.

Reply to
Skipweasel

My brother had his gas meter moved last week and they discovered this:

when digging up the supply pipe - a hole in the pipe only prevented from leaking by the clay soil it was buried in.

The gas man dug a trench to expose the pipework, and then it started heavily raining so sheltered indoors. When the rain stopped the trench was full of water with a stream of bubbles coming through it.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

Are you what the Yanks call a dumpster-diver?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Ghastly phrase, but yes - when the opportunity presents itself.

Reply to
Skipweasel

In article , Skipweasel writes

Ah, never thought of it before, thought you were just a happy sort of person who just skipped everywhere . . . . . . hmmmn, maybe not.

. . . . . oooh, there goes a butterfly, la, la, la . . . .

Did anyone else notice the perfect symmetry of Adam's puncture on the pipe? Right through the middle

Reply to
fred

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Reply to
Mr Pounder

I haven't had anything good out of the communal wheelibins for months now.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Sorry again.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

I blame the recession.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Ah - well - that's what you get for having a professional do it.

Us amateurs would've bashed away for hours making a right mess of it.

Reply to
Skipweasel

TBH the exit wound at the other side of the pipe would suggest it was not right through the middle. It seems that the camera lied.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I blame the neighbours.

Although I did have an option on a fridge/freezer up the road for a couple of days, but it didn't look like it came from a very clean house.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Still pretty good by my reckoning, was that the pipe finder pro that you went for?

Reply to
fred