Who uses pop rivets professionally?

I need one 6.4mm pop rivet fitted to something and whilst buying all the kit is tempting, I don't see me riveting many things in my remaining lifetime so if I would prefer to find someone to do it for me.

The thing is, who do I ask?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

That might depend on where you live. If you are near me, ask me!

Reply to
charles

Bus/Coach bodyshops, Boatbuilders, Caravan repairers perhaps?

Reply to
Chris Bartram

SW Scotland. How about you? ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

6 or more hours' drive away.
Reply to
charles

Given the extremely low cost of a pop rivet kit, I'd say someone who does charity work and lives next door?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

All the kit?

Given that pop-riveters of this size start from £10-£15 I can't see any professional charging less.

Fredxxx

Roller door fitters, metal roofers...

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Which bit? Striking distance of Carlisle or along the A69 to Hexham?

Mind you I'm not quite sure what size you really mean by a "6.4 mm pop rivet". They are sized by dia and length. 6.4 mm dia would be quite a chunky rivet then we don't know the length. 6.4 mm long is OK but what diameter?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

£10! Bit posh! I think there's a cheapy rivet gun in our local odds'n'bods shop for a fiver. And probably with some rivets thrown in for good measure ;-)
Reply to
Scott M

The OP did mention 6.4mm which is a beast. Without intending to sound judgemental I'm not sure how a £5 one would stand up this size?

Reply to
Fredxxx

But I bet they don't handle rivets designed to go in 1/4" holes!

Reply to
Roger Mills

More info needed really. For anything really structural you probably need a steel rivet put in by a lazy tongs if not a pneumatic tool. As others have said, this is caravan / trailer / metal door territory.

If there's not much stress or movement then alloy rivets and cheapest tool might be fine.

Reply to
newshound

Yes, that's true, forgotten that bit. Mind you, the £5 ones never seem much worse than the £10 ones!

I must measure what the maximum size I have in my assorted jar of rivets is. I think I've got some 5mm ones.

Reply to
Scott M

Cheers. That's significantly cheaper than any other heavy duty ones that I've seen.

That said, I'm hoping to get it done for beer money. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I don't think that the really cheap ones will hack it. Needs to be a heavy duty riveter.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

6.4 diameter, about 20mm length.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

You can't even put a 6.4mm pop rivet into most of them and even with the ones that you can, you're unlikely to be able to pop it with that sort of riveter.

Reply to
john james

What are you trying to fix? Why does it have to be a rivet?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I hate pop rivets, some idiot who made a DBX unit pop rivetted the phono sockets to the back panel very very badly so they work loos and loose their earth connection. Should have used bloody screws!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff