Who knows their chainsaws? ;-)

Hi All,

A mate (an Arburest/// Arborologsis//// Tree Surgeon) has a little Stihl 020T saw that he uses now-and-again and when he went to use it the other day, noticed the chain wasn't being lubed?

He has checked all the obvious points (oil in the tank etc) but before he takes it in to the shop wondered if there was anything 'known' re this model that he could sort himself please (he's a pretty good mechanic etc)?

All the best ...

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Don't know this particlar model but I use several Stihl chainsaws. You could try removing bar/chain and checking the oil outlet. Could be blocked/gummed up especially if the saw hasn't been used for some while. Possibly (lightly) pressurise the oil reservoir to blow it through and/or use a lighter oil to purge the system. HTH Nick.

Reply to
Nick

Surely a tree surgeon would know how to fix such a common fault?

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I thought that, as the *basic* training for a certificate in *any* tree work for professionals is chainsaw maintenance.

Apart from that it will either be the oil way in the guide blocked, the tube feeding it (if fitted) or orifice choked, or less likely the pump is seized or just not working.

Remove chain cover, remove chain * bar, using correct spanner remove brake drum (Noting the left hand thread). Clean out the shyte, paraffin off the parts viewed, drain oil from tank and fill with paraffin.. Start minus side plate and wait for paraffin to come through. Drain and allow to dry for a bit before re-filling with 10 grade oil. Reassemble after cleaning the bar and chain. Sharpen chain. Run for a few minutes on half revs to clear the crap while observing lubrication (or not). If still no oil coming through then suspect pump failure.

Reply to
..

Is it a common fault? I've used Stihl saws for over 20 years and never come across the problem. I presume that a tree surgeon will be trained in the use and maintenance of such machinery but not neccessarily in its repair.

Nick.

Reply to
Nick

Thanks to all for your replies (all forwrarded).

I believe he has only used this particular saw a few times (and as mentioned possibly part of the problem) and this is the first time it has gone wrong. Apart from major failures he generally keeps his other saws going himself.

I'll let you know what (if) he finds ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Ok, he's done that and apparently it all looks like new now ;-)

Ok, he did that ..

Ok, with light grade oil he is getting *something* through now but he still feels there's not what there was (even with the lighter oil and the lube setting on 'full').

One point he mentioned you could probably help on please.

When he tried to remove the small pipe that feeds the oil pump he could remove the grommet but couldn't get the pipe out from the tank, as if there was somehthing on the other end (filter / pickup pipe maybe)? I suggested maybe you would have to extract said pipe out through the filler hole but he said even looking in through the filler he couldn't see anything moving or to grab etc ?

All the best and thanks for your help so far .. ;-)

T i m

Reply to
T i m