Those Goddamn Chainsaws

I've probably bought at least 30 chainsaws over the years. Many were at auctions or garage sales and needed work. Some of those I was able to get running, others became boat anchors or got sold at our own sales. Others I bought new. Those generally worked well, but only once!!!!

It seems that chainsaws are made to be used once, and thrown in the trash. It dont matter if they were bought new, or use ones that were just rebuilt, they all have one thing in common, THEY ONLY WORK ONCE!

I've added gas stabilizer, used costly premium gas without alcohol, tried draining the gas, even blowing out the carb. None of this matters, if the saw is not used for a few weeks or months, it will never run again, (at least not without rebuilding the carb, and probably more repairs).

And none of this takes into account the amount of times a person has to pull the string to get that bastard started. It often rivals the amount of strokes your arm would make to use a hand saw. And by the time you do get them started, you're probably too exhausted to cut the damn tree.

After spending over $200 to get my Stihl professionally rebuilt, which occurred after I had already spent 3 full days working on it, and at least $50 for parts, I had a well running saw. It started quickly, and I trimmed several branches and cut down a small dead tree in an hour.

But it never fails, a few months later we had a bad storm, and there were 7 large trees knocked down. I grabbed the Stihl, and spent 2 hours pulling the string. Thats when I went to the local tool rental place and asked to rent a chainsaw, only to find out they stopped renting chainsaws, because people always brought them back broken. (I asked if that was because of the people, or just an inheritant tendency of all chainsaws to break down after every use).

- TIME TO CHANGE -

About 8 years ago, I either sold the last of the gas powered chainsaws for parts on Craigslist, or threw them in the trash. I went and bought an electric chainsaw. I was very pleased. It started immediately, was quiet, and worked perfectly after it was not used for months.

Aside from needing long cords and not having the longest bars, this seemed to be a dream come true. But there had to be a a flaw I had not yet found. I found it after about a combined use of 8 or 9 hours. THe flaw is that the chains get loose, and soon they come off the bar. Once they are off the bar, they can not be put back without a difficult struggle, which can take hours. After they are put back on the bar, they are never tight, and will come off soon again. This is because these small electric saws dont have a tightness adjuster like the larger gas powered saws have.

My last electric saw became useless after probably 10 hours total usage, simply because the chain could no longer be tightened and kept popping off, which cost me at least 2 hours of frustration each and every time, to get it back on, only to find it off the bar again, after a few minutes of use. I finally tossed it in the trash. Now, I am facing the same thing with another saw........

I think my days of chainsaw use and ownership are over!

We just had a storm, I am coping with 6 trees down, and doing all the cutting with a sawsall on the smaller branches, and just pushing the trunks into a pile, with my farm tractor, to be burned.

If anyone has any other suggestions for cutting up trees, WITHOUT a Chainsaw, please post them!

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

I don't do much heavy-duty sawing so just bought an electric chain saw.

Have had it for years and it still works fine.

Just need to make sure the chain is tight and has oil, before I use it.

Reply to
philo

I have an old Homelite Ranger that is still going after 15 years. I am on my 3d carburetor tho. When they start getting cranky, I just buy a new carb for $45 or so. A couple of screws and I am going for another 5 years. I do try to remember to start it up now and then and cut up something. Run it out of gas and don't store what was left over. Pour it in the truck and mix up some new gas next time you are cutting something

Reply to
gfretwell

My (very used , free) Stihl is out by the shop , been sitting for months . Probably with gas in the tank . Bet a quarter it won't take more than a handful of pulls to get it started - BRB - 10 to be exact . This saw doesn't have a primer bulb , just choke 'er and pull . The Poulan and the Homelite both fired right up the other day when I needed them too . Perhaps the problem is how you maintain the saws ? Do you ever go over them for loose bolts and missing pieces ? Keep the chain properly tensioned and sharp ? Use the proper bar oil ? Check and clean/gap or replace the spark plug ? Wash and re-oil the air filter and check the fuel filter in the tank ? Replace cracked/leaking hoses and primer bulbs ? I do all the above , and my only problem stems from trying to cheap out on a bar .

I hear primacord works . A bit noisy though .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

:)

Reply to
dadiOH

Call someone to cut-up and haul-away that has a wood burner. I bought a used Pro Mac 10-10 for $25 yrs ago...heavy and loud, but it still works great.

bob_villa

Stop buying CHINAsaws at McLowesDepotMart. Buy a Stihl and it will outlast you.

Reply to
R. P. McMurphy

i wentelectric only over the issues mentioned here. I dont do a lot of chain sawing but wheni do i dont want to be repairing the saw!!!!

so i bought 4 or 5 electrics over the years. when one breaks i just swap saws till the job is done....

Reply to
bob haller

Just had a look at mine...it's a Remington (electric)

If the chain does slip off, it only takes a minute to put it back on.

If I remember to make sure the bolts are tight before I use it, the chain stays in place.

Reply to
philo

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news:e00moa1m5i22k6g3loavou9nv9j7o2u4ac@

4ax.com:

That's exactly how I care for my Stihl, that is, when the season is over, run it out of gas. If I'm not going to use next season, I'll run it anyway just to keep the lines cleared up. It has one of those semi-power starters, too, and that is very helpful. Never has any problems with it

Reply to
Boris

philo wrote in news:mmfffi$lt6$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I also have a Remington electric that I use for small job. But, just last week the plastic tension adjuster cover, that also covers the rear end of the bar, broke. Along with it went the little plastic stop that holds the steal bolt/nut in place when adjusting tension. Think I'll just get another electric chain saw.

Reply to
Boris

I normally perform all kinds of odd-ball repairs to keep things going...but in the case of a chain saw...where safety is a real issue...I'd probably opt for a new one too.

Reply to
philo

I have a Remington too. Bought it for very little at a yard sale but had to buy an new oil cap/bulb, and maybe the hand shield. The company had all 2 or 3 parts I needed.

Oh, the chain was on backwards too. I'm lucky I thought of that when it wouldn't cut.

For a guy who t hought he would never use a chain saw, I've used it quite a bit. One time the snow knocked down a tree over my gate and with the 2 feet of snow and the fence and the gate and part of the tree, if I hadnt' had a chain saw, I couldn't have gotten out of the yard.

Another time a 50 foot cottonwood tree fell on my yard, and I certainly don't want other people doing things on my yard.

But something made the main case break recently. I plan to glue it. If that doesnt' do it, I'll look into buying a new case. And I have a smaller one that sparked when I bought it, so it was cheap. But if I see one at a yard sale I'll buy that too, and if nothhign works when I need one, I guess I'll buy new.

A friend lent me a pole saw which used a Remington one size smaller than mine. The handlet would have fit mine too but would have been heavy and hard to control..

I don't see why the chain woudl come loose on an electric one more than a gas one.

Reply to
micky

Pardon the dumb joke:

The chain goes one way for cutting the tree down,

then you put it on the other way for cutting the tree up!

Got that from my Spanish prof when I asked her a question and all she told me was "English is a dumb language">

Pole saw

I finally got a pole saw/pruner

Now that is one hell of a great invention~

Reply to
philo

Good to know for when I build that shed I've been thinking about.

Reply to
micky
[snip]

My first electric chanisaw (Remington?) had that problem. Even at first, I had to adjust the chain frequently. After awhile, I'd just get about 3 seconds of sawing before the chain came off (and it took a lot longer than that to get it back on for another 3 seconds).

[snip]
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

On Wednesday, June 24, 2015 at 11:27:09 AM UTC-7, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com w rote:

Yep. Learn to run a saw and something about them. I have had many over the years McCulloch (50s), Homelite (used and new 70s), Jonsered (basket case rehabbe d 80s), Stihl beginning in the 80s, Husky (90s), Currently running 5 Stihls from a little 192T (14") up to 441 (32"). Not one of them every gave me a problem starting or keeping the chain on. Been processing a minimum of 10 cords/yr since late 70s.

The earlier used saws finally had their life gone and were too far behind t he technology to maintain, replaced with better saws.

One clue: If it takes more then 3-4 pulls with choke on to "pop" the carb needs attention.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

On Wednesday, June 24, 2015 at 1:27:09 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wr ote:

That's partially true, they do need to be used occasionally and not just on ce a year.

My 1st good chainsaw was a Poulan 3400 that I used for 20+ years and never replaced anything except worn out chains from to many sharpenings and a new bar or two. Probably cut a couple of hundred trees with it. My current s aw is a Stihl 036 Pro and have been using it for about 8 years. Had to cha nge the pull cord once. I keep a 5yr supply of firewood by using it plus cl eanup of downed trees so it gets a good workout.

They get used at least once a month, sometimes more, and always start on th e 2nd or 3rd pull. The chain needs to be kept tight to keep it from coming off. Depending on the bar, some need to sag less than 1/4", and the Stihl bar is tight + 1/4 turn of the adjustment screw.

Electric saws are ok for limbs & saplings but not much more. The 'chainsaw

-on-a-stick' pole saws are nice until it gets pinched in a high large limb and you can't get it loose without an extension ladder and choice cuss word s.

Reply to
RedAlt5

A couple of things spring to mind. Is the bar bent or twisted? Are you tensioning the chain right, running it and checking it again? Did you lose the chain guides or install them wrong (sheet metal guides on both sides of the sprocket)

Reply to
gfretwell

Are you talking with or without primer bulb ? I don't feel bad if mine (no bulb Stihl) starts in 8-10 pulls when it's dead cold . Once fired usually 1 or 2 .

Reply to
Terry Coombs