Who can recommend a low-cost industrial endoscope for motor vehicle work?

The lowest price I've seen is around £250, which is rather a lot to discover what is causing the irritating rattle (loose object; maybe a biro pen) that is coming from underneath the dashboard on my Fiat Punto. It's somewhere between the underside of the dash and the heating ducts. I've tried peering up from underneath the dash, but it's in some kind of void. (Removing a Punto dashboard is a MAJOR task.)

The endoscope shaft has to be of small diameter, not the 8mm as used to inspect cavity walls.

If not to buy, then to hire maybe?

MM

Reply to
MM

The only ones I've thought of so far is foam and magnets.

MM

Reply to
MM

No, this is more solid than leaves. I've been listening to the darned rattle for weeks, although I only drive locally nowadays for shopping, so it's not a real sweat. But if I wanted to sell the car....? It sounds like a pen, because when it rattles and slides around, it sounds like it's got several flats, like a biro does. I'm blowed if I know HOW anything could have got in, but whatever it is, I can't see it yet.

MM

Reply to
MM

Megabux. The smallest industrial ones I've used were about 6 mm, maybe the surgeons have smaller. Can you get a view with a small webcam or bullet camera? Go fishing with magnets on a string or a flexy stick? Dribble gripfix in and hope it catches it? Expanding foam? Paint?

Reply to
newshound

Can't exactly help you with that except to observe that most rattles I've had to address involved leaves drawn in and eventually becoming dessicated, ending up behind heater vents on the dashboard.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Guy? Robots, if you please!

MM

Reply to
MM

Did you hear about the guy on the Punto production line who lost a pen............................?

Reply to
John

Mil surplus. There's a lot around. try Anchor Surplus in Nottingham. Short and rigid are cheap, and they'll still let you look through a tiny hole. Flexible fibre optic bundles for illumination are cheap. Fibre bundles that allow imaging are still expensive and only really useful for surgery.

White LED torches make great replacements for the original light source, and they're portable too.

My usual endoscope is 12" long, 4mm wide, sideways looking and cost =A320. I had to vacuum dry it for a while to get the condensation off the mirror before it gave a good image.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Punto? Turn it upside down and give it a good shake until the object falls out.

Reply to
Peter Parry

All the oil would run out! Petrol I'm not so worried about, since I can't afford to put more than a pint in it.

MM

Reply to
MM

He wants to remove the rattle, not the seats and engine.

Owain

Reply to
Owain