DIY endoscope, anyone?

Still wrestling with the problem of my leaking shower, and an inability to access the relevant areas without demolishing half the bathroom... my thoughts turned to the possibility of drilling a few small holes in appropriate areas (eg inside cavity walls/stud partitions/under floor boards/through joists) and poking an endoscope down them to have a looksee at what's going on.

I see that HSS do one for hire, but at a daily rate of 40 quid plus VAT

- wow!

So I was wondering, maybe it would be possible to make one up relatively easily... what do you think / has anyone tried it? I'm thinking, a length of 15mm copper pipe, an LED light and a mirror or prism at the tip, and I suppose a lens at the eye-end... hmm, maybe not so easy after all. Any thoughts from anyone who knows more about this stuff than me? Wouldn't mind if it cost a bit, as I would get to keep it for longer than 1 day, unlike going down the HSS route.

Reply to
Lobster

How about one of the smaller USB webcams, possibly with a USB extension lead. Some even have built-in LEDs:

?quicklinx=34ZH
?ModuleNo=36763&doy=26m6

Simon

Then buy one. Mine was only twenty quid. Rigid sideways-looking borescopes are cheap, flexible imagers are still expensive.

Mil-surplus is your friend.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

How about something like this

up to a PC or TV?

Reply to
Rob Morley

Twenty quid! blimey, certainly would if I could find anything at that price. I did have a quick look online to see what the going purchase rate was,and everywhere seemed to be well into three figures.

Anybody know any good ones online or mailorder? I don't know of any that are decent round my way.

If not, thanks also for to the others for the suggestions of webcams/mini security cameras... hadn't thought of that, and that may well be my next best option (although might require larger access holes than I'd really like!)

-- David

Reply to
Lobster

Hi,

Have you tried taping off the entire plug hole and showering to determine if the leak is in/around the waste pipe?

Also have you tried taping off the seal between tray and tiles/wall and the corners of the cubicle to determine if the leak is there?

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C