Which welder

it means the OP would need to turn his welder up past 200amp, and the effect on 1mm mild steel would be....... AD loves the book theory so much he swallowed it, but it just keeps coming back up when not needed.

Reply to
Mark

Well it depends on your insurance company. Mine doesn't mention it, I'veno idea how many do..

Reply to
Duncan Wood

You still have to have a MIG that will run the gasless wire. The results are not so good but still work. Some welders have the option gas/gasless.

another point is the duty cycle and amps output. small welders (110amp) don't do a good job through rust, even a little bit, things have to be clean shiny metal for best results. I use an argon mix suitable for light metal.

Reply to
Rob

Rob laid this down on his screen :

It was bought as a gas Mig welder, to do one single job I needed done at the time. I then used it few more times on other jobs, before loosing patience with the silly little expensive gas canisters. Apart from the gas problems it worked quite well, but because of the gas got shoved in a corner and forgotten.

So would I likely be able to buy a reel of gasless wire and use that?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

AIUI as long as you can change the polarity of the torch/earth any MIG welder can run gasless (flux cored) wire?

Cheers Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Fredxx formulated on Friday :

I suppose that is just a matter of swapping the tip over to 0.8mm?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

It happens that Harry Bloomfield formulated :

Oh, no it isn't - it is a 0.8mm tip already. I feel a gassless weld coming on :-)

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

machinewart want over a tenner for 0.9mm stuff

& =A37.70 posted 2nd class

Enjoy!

Cheers Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

I just converted my fixings to accept CO2 cylinders (pub ones to start with but now fire extinguishers.) No problems and far, far cheaper.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob Graham

Some have that facility to switch over. I have always only used gas and not familiar with gasless machines only know they are available. Is it only a polarity thing?

I would also be considering if there is enough guts (amps) to the required wire thickness.

Reply to
Rob

I run a bigger tip than recommended by the supplier as I find it does not "weld up" as often when you get too close.

Reply to
Rob

An argonshield bottle is normally filled at 200 Bar. I though CO2 cylinder didn't have anything like the same pressure rating?

There are often a number of companies which supply argon/CO2/O2 mixes, but many years ago I never found a saving over BOC's prices.

Reply to
Fredxx

AFAIK yes

eh? wire diameter with gas 0.8mm; gasless 0.8mm......?

Cheers Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Argonshield will have more than just have just argon in it for one. I recall from a datasheet it had a small oxygen content for "arc stability".

CO2 is pretty inert as oxidising metals go, though I guess it a proportion may be reduced to CO.

I can assure you it can be used in a MIG welder.

MIG is the generic name for a series of welders, which as you intimate can also be described by a lesser used acronym MAG.

Reply to
Fredxx

At one point I got as far as scrounging a CO2 bottle about 4' tall, with the idea of putting that to use, but it never got any further and the bottle ended up in a skip.

I would appreciate more details of what you did and where you got what please.

I notice the gasless wire comes in both 0.8 and 0.9mm sizes, but Machine Mart only seem to stock the 0.9 - but they sell the tips for the 0.9mm.

I have just dug my MIG out to see what condition it is in and apart from the rusted reel of wire, it looks good and runs fine. It is a Pro

90
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Small machines which are intended to run a smaller gauge may not run thicker wire in Gasless mode satisfactory. Not sure what is available in gasless wire.

Thin wire makes a slow job of putting down a weld. (and uses more gas)

Reply to
Rob

Yes great, but why introduce spray transfer when replying to the OPs gas question with the likely welder he would be buying and using it on. About as useful as Dave Plowmans advice to use pure Argon.

Reply to
Mark

eh? - they'll either run it or not shurely? what's this "satisfactory" bit alluding to?

AIUI you can get 0.8mm or 0.9mm gasless MIG wire

eh? if it's gasless wire you won't be using gas?!

Cheers Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Because this is a newsgroup, not an email. It's a mistake to make the discussion overly narrow, assuming an audience of just one.

Spray transfer is relevant to DIY welders on anything above thin sheet, whether you're welding car (separate) chassis or barbecues.

There is some sense to using pure argon. If all you can afford is one cylinder rental for an argon-based shield gas, and you also want to weld aluminium (or run a TIG too), then pure argon works tolerably well for steel too.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

My limited experience said there was little difference with thin steel using either argon or argosheild. But argon seems cheaper to buy on Ebay in a quantity of small bottles. And I do have to sometimes weld aluminium and stainless steel.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)