Which welder

Think were talking about two different things here!

Reply to
Rob

Bloomfield

can you explain what you are on about?!

Reply to
Jim K

I Disagree,but that's just my opinion i think if you are replying to a direct question from the OP it?s not a discussion, stick to the facts anything else is just likely to confuse,

What! DIY welders by definition are not powerful enough to do Spray Transfer, did you miss that page in the book

No that?s rubbish, and I can?t believe you are saying that after criticising the use of Co2. Pure Argon is if anything worse then Co2 on mild steel, try google ?using pure argon for mild steel welding? or return your theory book because it's talking bollocks. Photographic evidence you seem interested in, the metalwork end of my workshop.

Mark

Only if your idea of "DIY" is just some piece of crap from SIP, or Machine Mart. There are plenty of decent machines capable of doing spray transfer and that are still within the DIY remit for someone who's serious about it.

As you said, "bollocks". It won't look as good, but at least it will have penetrated.

Congratulations, you've got a welder. Transmig, not Tradesmig, so I guess you've not been doing it for long? 8-)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

thunk

ah, I believe that was the gauntlet ...;>)

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Not true, I built my locost out of 1.6mm wall tube, with CO2 using a dodgy

2nd hand mig welder with absolutely "no" experience of welding. It turned out great and in the 6 years it's been on the road, hardly anything's fallen off ;)

The welds are a bit taller, it runs a bit hotter but it's fine. Example pic

Tony (UncleFista)

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Jim K saying something like:

> thunk

Hope it was migged properly.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Jim K saying something like:

Be nice if all you buggers snipped a bit.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon
[...]

Yep, it's almost as annoying as someone with overly long attribution...

:-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Ok have it your way, but i can't honestly see anyone spending the £700+ needed to buy one for purely _DIY hobby_ type use, different matter for any serious work on thicker material and safety related jobs, ie building a trailer, but then why use Mig?

No only 40 years, In fact it's only relatively recently that i have been able to afford some reasonable quality tools, i restored three cars using the cheapest mig on Co2 and 140amp arc welder, more fun IMHO in learning to do things the hard way, after which everything else (welding wise) appears easy.

Reply to
Mark

You don't need to spend =A3700 though. There's a Cebora here that cost =A3400 and is happy enough, so long as it's on a decent supply. What's the second-up Transmig cost these days?, that'll do it. Remember that Murex ratings are at least using full-size units, not like those miniature Amps you get from China.

Building a trailer is surely one of the classic uses for DIY welding, and I'd certainly prefer to do that with MIG than with stick.

A good welder is still cheaper than the plasma, or the CNC mill I was using yesterday. Spend that money on a set of golf clubs and I doubt anyone would bat an eyelid.

Bollocks. I learned to weld 30-ish years ago with gas, then with one of the early SIPs with the _really_ crappy wire feed and disposable cylinders. I restored and rally-prepped several cars (even Fiats!) that way, and it took ages because I did it on the gas. Poor MIG welders are no use to man nor beast (hence I kept reverting to the gas set). I couldn't even begin to learn to MIG weld right until I had access to a decent machine that just left my skill on display alone, and with an instructor who insisted on proper sectioning and testing afterwards. There really is no other way to learn to do it right.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

How long ago, new now at that price?, or i don't think i believe you.

If you mean the 210 can't find a price via google, but would be somewhat surprised if you could get one new for under £700, but admit i don't go price checking new mig welders daily, particularly baby ones :)

Reply to
Mark

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Chris Whelan saying something like:

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

OK.It was a tongue in cheek post.

Out of interest, did you think it up yourself? I'd like to change my attribution, but haven't come up with anything.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

figures

cribbed from "fear and loathing in las vegas"

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

I thought the wire came in 0.6 and 0.8 mm, not 0.9. At least, what I buy round here does!

Re the gas, I originally went to a welding sales place (many years ago) which fitted me up with a regulator, pressure gauge, and appropriate connections to screw to a pub CO2 bottle. I simply went to the pub, they gave me one, and I re-cycled it when empty (paid for the gas itself, tho'). Then breweries got wise to this sort of thing and started putting nitrogen into the gas. OK for beer but not for welding. So I then bought a fire exinguisher, the screw fittings fitted it, and I just have it refilled from time to time (every couple of years or so. £15. So I own the 'bottle' and buy the gas. So so much cheaper than the little bottles that come with the welder. When the bottle's time comes up for pressure testing then I probably buy a new one.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Graham

Most pubs still have pure CO2 for the coke machine, mixed gas makes your beer less fizzy whilst still preserving it reliably.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Chris Whelan saying something like:

Hardly; it's from "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas".

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Interesting. Maybe I could go back to the pub bottle. I wouldn't have the problem with pressure testing then.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Graham

I already told him! and you go on about people wasting bandwidth!?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K